Hooah! Now what?

Afflixion

Forum Captain
as your first duty assignment? Wow your lucky lol.

boingo

Forum Asst. Chief
In all fairness, we were deployed or in the field quite a bit, but when we were on the rock, and not working, what a nice place to live!

OP
OP
D

divedeeper

Forum Ride Along
What about exposure to guts?

I have been studying and working out. I really appreciate your support and advice. I live in Broward county FL. I would really like to ride with an emt crew, but I have only heard of emt students being allowed that privilege. I really would love the opportunity to either observe an autopsy (again I've only heard are open to Med Students) or help in an ER. I've witnessed a small skin biopsy, several first aid encounters (including a pretty bad snake bite) and did not feel queasy or faint, but I'm sure severe trauma is much more shocking. I have watched plenty of this sort of thing on TV, but I'm sure real life trauma is quite different. Does anyone know of an opportunity to gain experience in this type of environment? I leave August 10th for BCT and would be willing to wash the ambulance or scrub instruments or whatever I can do to earn a ride or observation opportunity. Please let me know if you have any ideas or advice on this. Thanks!!

Afflixion

Forum Captain
When you get to AIT they'll show you plenty of real gruesome pictures and anyone who gets sick and asks to leave gets booted to a different MOS. When I was going through AIT we did a live tissue lab as well though I hear that it is only available for BNCOC students now... You will also do rotations at BAMC as well if they let you choose where you want to go try for the ER of course or the Burn Unit both are very helpful and let you do a lot. Just keep ann open mind, pray your not afraid of needles (once you get into the W1 portion of the class you get stuck 6-10 time a day.) Just have fun I heard your no longer allowed off post but the bowling alley and such at FT Sam are alright....just don't go picking up females/males (whatever your into) at The Hacienda.

apagea99

Forum Lieutenant
I was wondering where we would do rotations. BAMC should be a cool experience. Do you do rotations on the whiskey side too or just on the EMT-B side?

Afflixion

Forum Captain
When I went through AIT we only did rotations at BAMC and at the end of W1 before we went to the field.