Honolulu C&C EMS

Thatoneguy1313

Forum Probie
I know I have asked on Honolulu ems before and there are many threads on it, but the one question I cannot find an answer to is when/how often do they open for applications? Ive been watching since June and have not seen one yet. I want to work there soon otherwise I am going to end up going to school up here for my paramedic license in august but I have heard that it is much easier to be hired out of KCC's program compared to any program outside of Hawaii. Thanks for any info.

kev54

Forum Crew Member
I heard a rumor they will be have the application open soon. The folks at KCC will usually send stuff out if your on there email listserv because you took stuff through KCC EMS. The application stays open for less than 5 days and you must have your state license and NREMT. It's now required as of like 2 years ago to have NREMT to keep your state license. If you have that then your good. The medics prep the EMT's to go to medic school within two years. After a year with City you can can apply and they will pay for you to go. Most get in around the second year. Some take up to full contract year of 5 years.

I have heard rumors they will have a application very soon and it's based on the needs and usually closely follows the KCC fall and spring schedules. I know they will have one next May supposedly one in the next couple weeks but they could hire folks in May of next year instead. It's usually open twice a year. The only way to know is to check ever day since once the application is full they close it. It could stay open less than a day in some cases in which you would have missed it. Just keep checking ever day.

If you do a program on the mainland. You do the transitions program and life a little bit more challenging but they need medics. You will just stick out a little more and even if you have your medic they may encourage you to redo it here which some people have done. Getting your state license is a process from out of state if you have not done it. I know they changed the process but it's mostly based on your education. They require 135 hours of ride time for EMT-B and way above NREMT for Paramedic. Make sure your program gave you enough hours. PHTLS is requried, Blood Borne Pathogens, you need an IV course, and manual cardiac defib course and one or two other things. Paramedic has extra stuff required beyond that. That is for State of Hawaii EMT-B. Then it takes about 1-3 months to get your license in the mail. If you need the extra ride time then Kapiolani Community College or KCC is the place to go. If you serious on that then go for it but it's not easy. I did it. It wasn't easy.

Getting a job may take awhile. One local hospital took 1.5 years to call me back on job. Luckily I already had one in a ER I didn't care. If they open up applications in January and you apply and pass the HR test you may start by like March to April. It's a process. I can say the previous threads and most of the things I wrote have not changed. Unlike on the mainland change is slow in Hawaii. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Thatoneguy1313

Forum Probie
Thanks for the info it is very much helpful. I just want to be clear though, I have to get a state EMT cert BEFORE I apply? If so I really need to get onto that if I want a chance in the near future it sounds like.

kev54

Forum Crew Member
Yes. You need your state license before you can even apply. Hospital jobs might consider you being NREMT-B as a ER tech but they prefer state licensed folks since it means you meet our scope requirement here. We are above NREMT-B standards from a hourly class perspective and ride time as is the same for Paramedic. Lots of hoops to jump through. There are some cultural differences and if your not used to that people tend to come and leave. It's a lot of hoops. If you can visit do like airbnb and try to set up a ride along for a day and see. Lots of people come here and then leave. We may be the 50th state but we are culturally very different and not everyone can handle that. Just make sure to do a gut check is what I am trying to say. It took me four months to get my license, extra ride time and courses and such.

OP
OP
T

Thatoneguy1313

Forum Probie
Thanks for the info. I'm starting to get the stuff together for the license this week and also am going to contact the department as well as the school (KCC?) for their MICT program and see if I can meet with them as well as do a ride along. Is there anything else I should hit on a trip down there? Any specific contacts I could make in a short (7-10 day trip at most) time period that would go a ways towards either landing a job or getting into the MICT program? Again thank you for the info, this is really very helpful.

kev54

Forum Crew Member
Your welcome. State of Hawaii may send you to KCC at Kapiolani Community College. We all call it KCC for short. Jeff Zuckernick is the person to ask but he is very busy if you don't get a response just send him an email a couple more times. he runs the transition program. They may not give you a ride along or they may depends call City and County EMS for that but also try KCC to. Many people to get a job redo their EMT and Paramedic out here. If you have NREMT you can try applying to some of the hospitals they tend to hire more often but City and County wont take a look at you until you have your state license and most people get into MICT after working for City and County they pay for it. Getting a hospital job is hard without a year of experience everyone wants to be in healthcare out here. harder for non City and County folks to get in. Sometimes the occasional AMR people but it's mostly City and County folks after like a year sometimes two. After a year they will pay for it. Most get in on the second year. That should cover it.

OP
OP
T

Thatoneguy1313

Forum Probie
Is it easier to just go redo your EMT there at KCC rather than trying to get in on your NREMT from out of state, jumping through those hoops? If they pay to send you to the MICT program and most go back through their EMT program anyways then it sounds like its easiest to go ahead and just retake EMT through KCC to me.

kev54

Forum Crew Member
Jeff Zuckernick would be best to answer that at KCC. I did the transition program and spent 2-3 months on the rig. It worked for me. It's possible. Getting in out here you do need basic math done and an English course. Many have done more course wise and there is an interview. It full time class almost 5 days a week. A lot of studying time. That said for me the transition worked. It's even a process to get into the EMT program which is good basic English and math are important if you have those out of the way or a degree that's great. They make you write a personal statement and you need letter of rec and some other things. Either way there are hoops. I would try the transition program and see. Do extra ride time with city and country once you get state certified until they hire again. They hire about twice a year roughly. That's just me.

OP
OP
T

Thatoneguy1313

Forum Probie
Alright I'll send him an email then. I'm assuming the transition course isn't a full on relearning process? I'm kind of confused as to how that would work. Is this an EMT-B or EMT -A equivalent?

kev54

Forum Crew Member
Hawaii doesn't recognize EMT I. We have EMT-B and Paramedic. We used to get EMT I through NREMT but you were still EMT-B in the state of Hawaii. EMT I for NREMT was like 10 years ago. Not anymore. Our EMT-B is pretty much EMT-A more or less we don't pass meds we do most of the other stuff. That's the short version. It's just the ride time based on hours you did your original class I think and a NREMT medical assessment and such plus the required courses and you do your time and then submit your state paperwork. They send you license in three months. For most it's meeting the ride time stuff.