homework help

Flightorbust

Forum Lieutenant
So im doing my final english class before i start the paramedic program. I have chosen to do it on the fight ems has been having to prove itself and carve out its own place in the medical field. Now im going to preface this by saying i dont want to get into the ems/ff debate on here. But i wanted to see if there was some one that could spare some time for interview as well as if some one could send me to hardend facts about this. I can find links to ems protocols and blogs ect. But not many hard facts about ems trying to fight for its place

OP
OP
F

Flightorbust

Forum Lieutenant
Sorry im on my phone. But i want to do my paper on the fight ems has fought and is fighting to carve out its place in the medical field. Im doing more on the respect side of this debate. The fact the a paramedic and a R.N. has nearly the same education yet many E.R. staff look down at EMS staff.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
I have a nasty feeling things are about to explode on this thread. In all seriousness OP, there really hasn't been any hard research on this topic, nor am I certain there could be. There have been plenty of discussions on this forum regarding the overall low educational standards for EMS in the US, and you're going to find 25 people on here with 25 different opinions on how to fix it. As far as the fight to be taken seriously, I find it varies area to area, service to service, and individually. Some ED staff will always look down on all EMS as ambulance drivers, while some do respect the work we do.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Is the paper supposed to be fact-based, or just an opinion piece?

I think the RN vs. paramedic thing is waay overdone. There is some overlap in skill sets between medics and nurses, but there are very many important differences between the two professions, so I would not use a perceived disparity between the two professions as the cornerstone on which to build a thesis about the condition of EMS.

I am a paramedic and a nurse, and I have opinions that may or may not be helpful to you. You are welcome to PM me with questions if you'd like.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
im-watching-you.jpg

Be aware, the mods will NOT allow this thread turn into a nursing vs EMS or fire vs EMS debate. If you are willing to answer questions via PM or email for the OP, please contact him.

As always, we encourage healthy dialogue, but this topic has a tendency to become heated quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
F

Flightorbust

Forum Lieutenant
I dont want this to turn into a ff v ems or any of that. This is a research paper where we can use opinions as long as the person the opinion is comming from has the credentials (ie seasoned rn medic ect) my paper isnt even about rivalry as much as ems having to fight to establish its place. I will be touching on the variations in skills across the country, low pay comparatives as well as its fight for respect and to be seen as an equal.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Have you considered other topics that might be a bit less...complicated?

terrible one

Always wandering

+ 1
What 'fight' are we talking about? And I won't touch the PM v RN thing other than to say I disagree with your stance on it.

OP
OP
F

Flightorbust

Forum Lieutenant

Kinda funny that you ask about that as i spoke with my instructor about that today. I have thought about it but I am a bit unsure as what to do it on and we have a final peer review on wednesday with this paper being our final for the class. Im not opposed to another subject though

OP
OP
F

Flightorbust

Forum Lieutenant
First Id like to thank thoes that offered help with this project. I have chosen to go in a different direction with this paper. I have chosen to do my paper about the risks involved with running code 3. If anyone knows of any reports of statistics about this it would be a huge help. The most recent I can find was from back in 2001. I cant find any hard facts that are current. I have searched DOT and NHTSB websites to no avail.