Home Remedies....Lets have'em

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
A patient I just had in front of me whose eyes were swelled shut got me to thinking...

We all have those "homemade remedies" for all of lifes aliments. So lets have'em...

I'll start.

If you have bags under your eyes, rub some Preperation H on them. (that is what this patient I just had did.)

I have used Ouzo (You know, the liqour) on my son's gums when he was loosing a tooth. I figured some people rub whiskey on a babies gums when teething, why not Ouzo. Well, he proceded to throw up.

SO...what are yours??? And how did they work out for you??

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
I pretty much never get migraines, but a reflexology technique for this is to press into the joint of your thumb on index finger (posterior side). In the little dent between the meaty part of the joint (not actually at the bone joint), but on the web. Not rough, but hard steady pressure into it using the thumb from your other hand.

A number of my Asian friends use this as a home "remedy" passed on from their parents.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
The only home remedy I need is ....

CALL 911! (Everyone else does)

:p

ipscscott

Forum Crew Member
Originally posted by EMTPrincess@Oct 12 2005, 11:12 PM
If you have bags under your eyes, rub some Preperation H on them. (that is what this patient I just had did.)
Not a home remedy per se, but reminds me about an incident that happened at work a while back. Seems there was a young lady (non American, btw) who was a bit confused when she was shopping for baby wipes with which to remove her stage makeup, particularly around her eyes. Wanna guess what happened when she accidentally bought these instead?
B0000VLX1Y.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
My dad is from "the old world" (Italy)... he mixes some baking soda with warm water when he has indigestion.

If you have blonde hair with natural blonde highlights but want to lighten up your hair just a bit and make it brighter for a special event - make some chamomile tea - just tea and water. Let the tea cool down then put it in the fridge (with the teabags) overnight. After you shampoo and rinse your hair, pour the tea onto your hair and work it all over. Wrap your head in a towel for 20 minutes or so, then rinse and use your conditioner sparingly. The chamomile will make your natural highlights bright and shiny.

ma2va92

Forum Lieutenant
Originally posted by CaptainPanic@Oct 13 2005, 09:54 AM
lemons under the armpits for hangovers - dont ask me how or why but it helps. :lol: :D
if ya get ice water at your house and it has lemon in it.... hmmmmm time to leave

emtdmom

Forum Ride Along
For fever

Cut an onion in half, leaving the skin and top/bottom on it. Place it on the bottom of the foot, and put a sock over it. When the onion is cooked the fever will be gone! My friend did this one day, she said 1/2 an hour after she did it her sons fever was gone, she pulled off the sock and sure enough the onion was mushy!

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by rescuecpt@Oct 13 2005, 06:13 AM
My dad is from "the old world" (Italy)... he mixes some baking soda with warm water when he has indigestion.
Baking soda is Bicarbonate of Sodium, which is the main ingredient in Alka-Seltzer. The only reason baking soda doesn’t fizz, is b/c there is no chemical reaction with water, except that it dissolves. It needs an acid, which Alka-Seltzer has, citric acid to be exact.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Originally posted by TTLWHKR+Oct 15 2005, 12:04 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TTLWHKR @ Oct 15 2005, 12:04 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-rescuecpt@Oct 13 2005, 06:13 AM
Baking soda is Bicarbonate of Sodium, which is the main ingredient in Alka-Seltzer. The only reason baking soda doesn’t fizz, is b/c there is no chemical reaction with water, except that it dissolves. It needs an acid, which Alka-Seltzer has, citric acid to be exact. [/b][/quote]
I know that, silly. It's still a home remedy though. :)