Hipaa

JoBuster13

Forum Ride Along
Ok this question I think I have the answer to but just want to make sure everyone agrees because I have a few co-workers who are fighting me on it. We operate as EMT's at an industrial site who also has a plant physician 3 days a week. The "PCR's" we fill out the Dr wants to have access to. This is allowed because the PHI is being used to treat the patient correct. Or am I missing something. Thanks alot.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Ok this question I think I have the answer to but just want to make sure everyone agrees because I have a few co-workers who are fighting me on it. We operate as EMT's at an industrial site who also has a plant physician 3 days a week. The "PCR's" we fill out the Dr wants to have access to. This is allowed because the PHI is being used to treat the patient correct. Or am I missing something. Thanks alot.

Assuming that the site is a "covered entity" (the industrial complex bills electronically for certain covered healthcare transactions), then yes. The physician has a legitimate reason for patient care to see the EMTs' charts for continued care of the individual patients. Additionally, if the physician is involved with any sort of oversight of the EMTs employed by the complex, then that would be another legitimate reason to access the chart ("healthcare operations" permitted use).

Likely, from a pure HIPAA view, the complex isn't a covered entity, and thus not required to follow HIPAA anyways. Local and state laws may still apply.

Both "covered entities" and "permitted uses" (what can PHI be used for without permission) can be found here: http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/understanding/summary/

Last edited by a moderator:

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Ask them to spell HIPAA. If they use two "P's" disqualify anything they say :D.

On what basis are your coworkers trying to deny a physician who is also responsible for those employees access?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Ask them to spell HIPAA. If they use two "P's" disqualify anything they say :D.

On what basis are your coworkers trying to deny a physician who is also responsible for those employees access?

We just did some hospital orientations and on the power points that the hospital gave us it had 2 P's. I cried a little

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief

The MD has legitimate access most assuredly.