Hipaa

JP171ntx

Forum Ride Along
hi everyone, don't post much here. I don't work activly in the EMS industry anymore. I have been a texas EMT-Paramedic for over 22 years.

I have a bit of a rant and need for suggestions, so let me do the rant.

I hate all this HIPAA stuff, really I hear about it from people who obviously don't know a thing about it but think they do because the company legal department told them what it meant.

I am in the military(guard), I have had too many of the people in my unit tell me that we are not allowed to ask for pertainant medical information to assess a soldiers fitness for specific tasks as it is a HIPAA violation or that discussing a person between NCO's is a violation of HIPAA. it isn't even really a violation of most states privacy laws that don't even touch HIPAA. some of the NCO's senior to me get mad when I tell that they are wrong. The people refuse to listen and none of them are healthcare professionals in any form, the closest we have in our unit is a HR person, now I am not sure if she told them this or not really. The way I understand HIPAA is that it applies only to covered agencies, I know Privacy laws cover more than HIPAA but most of them not only read like stereo instructions you can't really figure them out unless your a lawyer. but the gist is if you have the information is that you can't release immediately Identifiable information to anyone that does not have a bonafide need to have it.

I really hate all this stuff flying around about HIPAA and Privacy laws because most employers, people and Military units are not even covered by them.

so suggestions how to get a certification on HIPAA without paying thru the nose and how to convince the people to not be anally intorverted by stating wrong belief as fact?

JPINFV

Gadfly
1. IANAL, but wouldn't the UCMJ trump state law for on base activities?
2. Does the military bill insurance for physical assessments done on base for things like fitness for duty? If not, then they aren't a covered entity.
3. Just link people to the CMS website that deals with HIPAA.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Praise the Lord! Finally somebody that knows how to spell it!