High school senior (NJ)

kinpat

Forum Ride Along
Hi, I'm a senior in high school (17) in NJ and I am looking to become an emt to continue into college. I am looking to p I have a few questions:
1. If I become certified now, what am I able to do exactly? Will it be different when I turn 18?
2. All of my colleges are out of state, how would I go about becoming re-certified?
3. I don't understand the distinction between volunteer and paid in terms of certification and work, can you clarify?

Sorry, I'm just really confused by the laws here.
Thanks!!!

polisciaggie

Forum Crew Member
I took my EMT-B class while I was in High School like you are wanting to do, it was somewhat difficult doing it but at the end it was worth doing.

Once you become certified you can do anything another EMT-B is able to do in NJ. I'm not sure, but I have a strong feeling that NJ has their protocols set by the state so go look on the NJ State EMS webpage and look for their protocols. Typically, EMT-B's provide basic medical care (CPR, bandaging, spinal immobilization, oxygen administration, etc..) However, in some states like Texas where I am located, the protocols are set by each agencies medical director. In a lot of rural areas in Texas, EMT-B's can provide a lot of the same care that Paramedics give.

Typically, you have to be 18 to take the National Registry exam which is required to gain state certification in many if not most states. Also, in Texas at least you have to have a high school diploma to gain your certification. The National Registry allows for certification reciprocity between states. Again, check with the NJ State EMS webpage about their requirements for certification.

The only difference between volunteer and paid medics is that one is paid while the other isn't. There is typically no difference in certification or scope of practice.

dastri

Forum Probie
hey kinpat. I am actually a junior in high school in NJ and if you would like to pm for any ?s i dont mind. I took the class on Saturdays basically so i can get volunteer hours and a EMT job while i am doing my premed undergrad.
Now for your ?s.
1. Most companys wont hire you until you are eighteen and have at least some experience. Usually around a year. Right now i am getting experience from my local volunteer service. If you get certified at 17 you will have the same training as older EMTs. Nothing really changes at 18 other than you can get a job.
2. Like polisciaggie said above you need to take the National Test when your turn 18 and this is accepted as a certificate by i believe 47 out of 50 states. If you plan on working in NJ you dont need to take the NREMT test.
3. No difference. Same training, same skills, etc. But one is payed while one is not. Also like i said above most squads need experience which can only be gotten threw volunteering.
Also out of curiosity are planning on taking a medic class after collage?

pa132399

Forum Crew Member
i got my emt while i was in high school i think i was a junior at the time. my class was all sundays for 8 hrs. it wasn't really difficult to manage with high school. during my senior yr i got a job with a bls company near where i live on there day crew and got out of school on half days to go to work. i have since moved to another area and got a job on a medic unit at the age of 18 and i am also in paramedic school.

so yes expierience will help land a job as will your age. i first ran with an als company when i got my emt at 17 i couldnt run volly with my own towns bls till i was 18. i also would also say make sure its a job you will enjoy if your going to continue on and get your medic. school is tough but definately do able

Devilz311

Forum Crew Member
I got my EMT-B cert when I was 16 (summer before my junior year of HS). As A 16 year old I was able to be a Cadet EMT on my volunteer squad. It all depends on the rules of the individual Squad as to what an EMT under the age of 18 is permitted to do. In my case, I still didn't technically count as a crewmember, unless SHTF and there was absolutely no one else to handle the call, I was permitted to treat alone (this was only granted on a case-by-case basis, and under no circumstances was a <18 member permitted to drive). The day I turned 18 I was promoted to a full active EMT as far as the squad was concerned.

As far as working as an EMT, NJ regs require all paid EMT's to be 18 years of age. There are some places out there that require employees to be 21 before they are permitted to drive, as per their insurance policies. Some places that hire EMTs that aren't licensed transport agencies by the state (parks and such) may have different rules. I was able to work as an EMT at a beach first aid station at the age of 17...

If you would want to, you could apply for reciprocity in the state you are attending college, and ride for a local squad there (if applicable). I had gone to Ramapo College in North Jersey, and they actually gave me 4 transfer credits for completing EMT school.

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
You can take and pass the EMT class at 16, and become state certified as a 'Provisional EMT'. Which means that you have the training and certification as an EMT, can act as an EMT, but cannot make up the minimum staffing on a truck.

Many volunteer agencies have cadet programs. You can run limited hours while you're in school. You get experience on an ambulance as an EMT. Contact your local Squad(s) and find out whether they have cadets. I can point you in the right direction if you need some guidance. Just send me a PM.

Your card will be good for five years when you get it. You'll hopefully be done with college by the time you're up for a recert. And right now the whole re-certification process is somewhat up in the air. So none of us really know how we're going to get our re-certification done.

StickySideDown

Forum Crew Member
Your answers

1. If I become certified now, what am I able to do exactly? Will it be different when I turn 18? You will be able to do everything an 18 y/o EMT can do. The only difference is you will not be allowed to sign legal documents until you are 18, and there fore can not make up the minimum staffing for an ambulance in NJ ( 2 EMT's ). Most ambulance squads will let you run as a third and the other two emts will more than likely be willing to let you "take the lead" on calls so you are able to gain the experience you want.

2. All of my colleges are out of state, how would I go about becoming re-certified?

There are two options. After completing your EMT class within 12 months you can take the National Registry test without having to redo all of your practical skills ( your course director for EMT will have to vouch that you passed all of your practicals in class), and then you will just have to test for your NREMT-B card. ( National Registry Emergency Medical Technician - Basic , if you don't know the acronyms yet. ) Then you will be able to use that card to practice as an EMT in many states.

See http://www.nremt.org/ for more information on that.

If you choose not to do that many states have a reciprocity process. You will have to contact the OEMS office in that state you wish to gain your certification in. By doing this process you are "challenging" the EMT course in that state against the one you have taken. Then the state reviews the materials your EMT class had completed and see if it meets their EMT course's minimum expectations and goals. Then you may have to take that state's written test or you may not. Then they will grant you your certification in that state.

3. I don't understand the distinction between volunteer and paid in terms of certification and work, can you clarify?

Volunteer : Does everything the paid guy does except gets paid.
Paid : Does everything the volunteer does, but gets paid.

Many squads in your area more than likely will allow you to join as a volunteer, and then pay for your EMT class, and allow you to continue to run there as a volunteer EMT.

Reply with any more questions you my have or if I confused you.

Good luck in whatever you may choose!

Last edited by a moderator: