Hi

emtff376

Forum Lieutenant
Hi folks,

I'm Janette. I'm an EMT/Firefighter at a small company in West Virginia. I've been an EMT for 10 years and a firefighter for 3.

I'm the webmaster of our company's webpage www.canaanvalleyvfd.org. I would sure appreciate suggestions to spruce up our site.

I'd like to say in advance, nice to meet all of you.

JB

FFEMT1764

Devil's Advocate
Welcome to our family, I am sure that everyone here will be happy to offer ideas for your website...please feel free to ask questions and make yourself at home here...we are a great group of people and hopefully you will bring some of your own insights to our little corner of the world. Oh yea, and don't feed Jon!

FFEMT1764

Devil's Advocate
Ok I looked at your website and its actually pretty good...but I am curious why you have only 3 trucks...how big is your FSA? Population? ISO rating? Number of vollies?

OP
OP
emtff376

emtff376

Forum Lieutenant
Lets see. We have have a mini-pumper, utility truck, engine and pumper tanker. The ambulance in the third bay.

We serve approximately 1/3 of our county, which has a total population of around 7000 and declining. The majority of our first due is National Forest/Wilderness Area/State Park/Wildlife Refuge/etc. The rest of it is pretty much resort type area.

Not sure what our ISO rating is. I know our chief is working on getting it changed right now.

I think our currently roster has 28 volunteers on it. However it's the same 5 people that show up for every call.

We have 2 downhill ski resorts in our first due, so trauma is abundant during the winter months, as well as MVCs. In the summer and fall, we get a lot of lost calls, i.e. hunters/hikers lost in the woods with the occasional trauma (usually mountain bike related).

FFEMT1764

Devil's Advocate
WOW. My FD covers 7 Square miles, population roughly the same...motly residential, though new industrial park has moved into our area. We have 2 Class A pumpers, a service/rescue truck, a tanker, and 2 brush trucks..with a second tanker coming in the next 6-9 months. We also are aiming for at least 1 if not 2 more stations, 3 more pumpers and a ladder truck. EMS (which is my FT job) runs 4 ambulances countywide, with 4 QRV's to back up and assist FD with 1st response.

OP
OP
emtff376

emtff376

Forum Lieutenant
We don't have any buildings in our first due that require a ladder truck. Is that pathetic?:)

We have 4 companies and 3 EMS stations in our county. With several companies and stations in neighboring counties that called out for most calls for mutual assist. We rarely get a paramedic from our county, since I think we only have 4 active or something like that. They usually come from the next county over or Maryland.

I wish I could say EMS or fire was my FTJ. I'm a desk jockey, kind of like Lumberg from Office Space. ;)

OP
OP
emtff376

emtff376

Forum Lieutenant
oh yeah, first due area is a little less than 100 square miles.

FFEMT1764

Devil's Advocate
Um wow, ok...I know where you are too, i used to live in Garrett County, MD for about 3 years...was a CRT there...so yes I know the area fairly well...if you are looking for a full time EMS job you should move down here...we have a statewide shortage of EMS people and most of the pay is pretty good...I know ours will be getting better soon!

OP
OP
emtff376

emtff376

Forum Lieutenant
Sweet! Did you run with SGCRS?

Where is down here? I kind of like my little corner of heaven up here.

FFEMT1764

Devil's Advocate
I ran with northern...then with southern...then came back here (SC). Its nice here, 2 hours to the beach, and hour to the smokey mountain...an hour to carowinds, 7 hours to the big mouse, plus great cost of living!

OP
OP
emtff376

emtff376

Forum Lieutenant
Nice. Never been there, except to Myrtle. Not much of a beach gal.

How about skiing? It is close to skiing?

FFEMT1764

Devil's Advocate
About an hour and a half from sugarloaf,nc...3 hours from snowshoe, so not too shabby if ya ask me..but I dont ski...weak ankles...

OP
OP
emtff376

emtff376

Forum Lieutenant
Haven't skiied sugarloaf before, although I've heard a lot about it.

I don't get out much living up here in the woods.

FFEMT1764

Devil's Advocate
The woods huh...yea...um...yea...anyways if you are looking for an EMS job down this way let me know...we have plenty of FD's to volly at too!

OP
OP
emtff376

emtff376

Forum Lieutenant
Seriously!

House with lots of trees and wildlife around it, right around 70 acres. The woods! :)

If I hadn't just built a house, I would be all over it.

FFEMT1764

Devil's Advocate
Well that could be your um winter home...yea...winter home...we have wildlife too...deer everywhere...especially in front of cars!

OP
OP
emtff376

emtff376

Forum Lieutenant
No kidding! I worked three motorcycle vs. deer this summer. Gross! Had to fly one of them. The deer didn't do to well either.

FFEMT1764

Devil's Advocate
I hit a deer the day after turkey day...the deer fled the scene...he must not have had insurance...$2200 in damages to my crown vic...thank goodness for insurance! We fly the helo's in our county alot...loads of trauma and the closest level 1 is 30-40 minutes away running code...so we see them almost daily...and we have 3 within 15-25 minutes flying time...and that to the far reaches of the county...the shortest flight time is like 7 minutes.

OP
OP
emtff376

emtff376

Forum Lieutenant
dirty punk. Fleeing the scene like that.

I've had significant damage done to the subaru on four separate occasions, but my truck has remained deer free. (knock on wood, or whatever this crap my desk is made out of).

FFEMT1764

Devil's Advocate
First time I ever hit a deer..and funny thing was if I would have been in my Suburban the deer would have lost...I have a 12" step bumper on the front with a 16000# warn winch on the front...I love my 4x4:p