Hi All

eprex

Forum Lieutenant
I'm new here and just wanted to say 'hello'. I'll be starting my EMT-B training late September and I plan on taking it very seriously. I also hope to eventually get a job as a medical assistant with my EMT training/experience.

Any tips for someone going into the course? All advice is accepted!

I do have a quandary. I noticed it's a little easy going at my station and I'm worried they may be too "relaxed" if you know what I mean. I want to take this as serious as possible. Any advice on that issue?

Thriceknight

Forum Crew Member
First...Welcome!! (-:

As for advice...study, ask questions, but have fun! If you want to work as a medical assistant...that's a separate course. If you want to work in an ER, your EMT cert will help. You'll probably also want a Phlebotomy cert too. Make u more desirable/useable. As for the station thing..just worry about you. You don't want to "rock the boat" as a newbie. That being said, if their attitude is affecting patient care then talk to a supervisor after the call.

Happy trails and good luck!

OP
OP
eprex

eprex

Forum Lieutenant
First...Welcome!! (-:

As for advice...study, ask questions, but have fun! If you want to work as a medical assistant...that's a separate course. If you want to work in an ER, your EMT cert will help. You'll probably also want a Phlebotomy cert too. Make u more desirable/useable. As for the station thing..just worry about you. You don't want to "rock the boat" as a newbie. That being said, if their attitude is affecting patient care then talk to a supervisor after the call.

Happy trails and good luck!

Thanks for the kind response.

Yeah I definitely don't want to be "that new guy" so I'll definitely just keep my mouth closed and spend the time hitting the books. I guess I'm just concerned about picking up bad habits.

As for the job situation, it's very all over the place or at least in NY. I was told it was a good idea to get the phlebotomy/ekg cert but apparently that won't get you a job. At my father's hospital they don't even have phlebotomists but people who were already working in the hospital were trained to do phlebotomy along with other tasks.

I remember reading that for a medical assistant/ER tech you can score a position with the EMT training course. Not sure how much validity is in that but one thing is for sure, not having any experience won't get me a job!

I have 2 years until I hopefully enter medical school and I'd like to work and gain clinical experience. Anyway, back to studying!

OP
OP
eprex

eprex

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks for the links rwick. Hope I didn't offend, this was more of an introductory post than anything else.

OP
OP
eprex

eprex

Forum Lieutenant
I realize that studying has made me delusional! I had read that the EMT course was the minimum study required for a phlebotomy position and I'm sure most hospitals will want the certification too.

I'll have to sign up for a phleb course soon. Is the red cross sufficient? I know they don't offer clinical experience.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Welcome.

Just my opinion but you said something about "getting jaded" in another thread.

If you walk around all day with a stick up your *** you will "get jaded". This job requires relief of daily stressors. Like I said, my opinion, but I'd rather have a good time in my down time and enjoy my job then get serious when we need to be rather than being constantly wound up tight.

OP
OP
eprex

eprex

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks! I do appreciate the advice.

Last edited by a moderator:

DVetter

Forum Probie
EMT school

Dear EPREX,

My experience of EMT class was great. Good times !! ask a lot of questions.no question is a dumb one if you are willing to learn. I was working full time as a restaurant manager (60 hrs. A week)when I took my EMT class.
Not a lot of down time to study. I made a lot of flash cards,made a tape recording to play while I commuted to and from work and a lot of role playing/scenarios . Get use to saying things out loud and practicing patient care.

Good luck
I love going to work every day!!

DVetter

Forum Probie
EMT classes

Dear EPREX ,

The best thing you can do is relax, have fun and ask a lot of questions. No question is a dumb question if you want to really learn this stuff.
I took my EMT class 16 years ago while working as a restaurant manager.(60 hr. work week)
So there was very little down time to study.
Flash cards are useful early on for all that A&P. I also made tape recordings for my commute to and from work. Also practice hands on assessment and verbalized everything not just think it in your head. Saying it out loud helps you remember it.

Good luck

OP
OP
eprex

eprex

Forum Lieutenant
Dear EPREX ,

The best thing you can do is relax, have fun and ask a lot of questions. No question is a dumb question if you want to really learn this stuff.
I took my EMT class 16 years ago while working as a restaurant manager.(60 hr. work week)
So there was very little down time to study.
Flash cards are useful early on for all that A&P. I also made tape recordings for my commute to and from work. Also practice hands on assessment and verbalized everything not just think it in your head. Saying it out loud helps you remember it.

Good luck

Thanks for the great advice. Cheers!

It's probably too late to mention but I just ordered an ADC lite 612 stethoscope. Seemed to get pretty good reviews and it was cheaper than the ultrascope and litmann cardio III. Hope it was a good buy!