Hey NC EMTs, question

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Looking at reciprocity requirements for EMTs in NC... and I noticed that you either have to be a resident, did training in NC, or work for a NC company. Does that mean NC companies will entertain applications from people not certified in NC?

emtchick171

Forum Lieutenant
It depends on the company. Private versus public and such. However, Pat Webb would be the one to ultimately answer all your questions. She's in charge At NCOEMS

OP
OP
TransportJockey

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
It depends on the company. Private versus public and such. However, Pat Webb would be the one to ultimately answer all your questions. She's in charge At NCOEMS

NCOEMS is actually pretty clear. To obtain reciprocity you must either be a resident of NC, done your training in NC, or be employed by an EMS service in NC. It's how to get employment I'm wondering about. It's similar to how Wyoming does it (and no companies in WY will entertain applications from people not certified in that state so it's a catch 22)

emtchick171

Forum Lieutenant
NCOEMS is actually pretty clear. To obtain reciprocity you must either be a resident of NC, done your training in NC, or be employed by an EMS service in NC. It's how to get employment I'm wondering about. It's similar to how Wyoming does it (and no companies in WY will entertain applications from people not certified in that state so it's a catch 22)

I know the company I worked for would offer transfers. Because lots of coworkers came from MA, OH, etc. I used to work with AMR. I know they will transfer from out of state to NC but I'm not sure about hiring. It would be worth a shot. Every company has their own guidelines as far as hiring out of state.

OP
OP
TransportJockey

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

emtchick171

Forum Lieutenant
What county are you looking at working in?

OP
OP
TransportJockey

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Any at this point. Cumberland county looks like it's hiring and I've heard good things about them.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
I wonder if they require doctors to have residency in NC. The whole residency requirement is very stupid, if you ask me. I am thinking of getting an NC license for the summer of 2012 because there is a music festival that I want to volunteer at in the first aid tent. I don't live in NC, but I am National Registered with a license in another state. How am I able to get an NC license if I am 1) not living in NC, 2) not trained in NC or 3) not working in NC but 4) will be volunteering in NC?

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
I wonder if they require doctors to have residency in NC. The whole residency requirement is very stupid, if you ask me. I am thinking of getting an NC license for the summer of 2012 because there is a music festival that I want to volunteer at in the first aid tent. I don't live in NC, but I am National Registered with a license in another state. How am I able to get an NC license if I am 1) not living in NC, 2) not trained in NC or 3) not working in NC but 4) will be volunteering in NC?

You'll have to have a sponsoring NC agency that is coordinating the project and providing medical direction. Get an official letter from them saying you "work" for them, and submit it to OEMS with the required documentation. That might work.

emtchick171

Forum Lieutenant
Any at this point. Cumberland county looks like it's hiring and I've heard good things about them.

Cumberland is good. The county I'm from and work in actually borders cumberland.

OP
OP
TransportJockey

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I'm more than happy to listen to any suggestions, preferably third service or hospital based agencies. By post or PM. :)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

SixEightWhiskey

Forum Crew Member
Could anyone give me insight along these lines as well? i'm an active duty Army medic currently stationed in Ft. Hood, TX. I'm looking to go into civilian EMS after my Army time is complete, and I've been researching agencies in NC, mainly MEDIC (Mecklenburg), Guilford County, Buncombe County and Wake County. Obviously I would want to ensure I had employment before picking up &moving here once i ETS out of the military. Would I run into this same problem that the OP is describing? I'm currently NREMT-B certified and will have my NREMT-P by the end of my active duty service.

emtchick171

Forum Lieutenant
Could anyone give me insight along these lines as well? i'm an active duty Army medic currently stationed in Ft. Hood, TX. I'm looking to go into civilian EMS after my Army time is complete, and I've been researching agencies in NC, mainly MEDIC (Mecklenburg), Guilford County, Buncombe County and Wake County. Obviously I would want to ensure I had employment before picking up &moving here once i ETS out of the military. Would I run into this same problem that the OP is describing? I'm currently NREMT-B certified and will have my NREMT-P by the end of my active duty service.

I don't know much about wake or buncombe. I had a friend that worked mecklenburg and loved it.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
If I were looking for an EMT/Medic gig in North Carolina I'd be looking at Wake County or Mecklenburg County.

OP
OP
TransportJockey

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
If I were looking for an EMT/Medic gig in North Carolina I'd be looking at Wake County or Mecklenburg County.

Thanks for the tip :)

MedicBender

Forum Captain
I had this same issue when I moved to MD. MD has the same requirement where you have to have an affiliation to get your MD license, yet no one will hire you with out a MD license. The way I got around this is with a VFD. They will usually bring you on and give you affiliation if you volunteer your time with them. That way you can get your license

OP
OP
TransportJockey

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I PMed you :)

Cool writing back :)

I had this same issue when I moved to MD. MD has the same requirement where you have to have an affiliation to get your MD license, yet no one will hire you with out a MD license. The way I got around this is with a VFD. They will usually bring you on and give you affiliation if you volunteer your time with them. That way you can get your license

But I'm not going to move cross country THEN look for a job :p Besides, I don't do volunteer EMS. At all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Theo

Forum Crew Member
My family is relocating to NC next year. To get a jump start on reciprocation I set up residency with family in NC so I could open a bank account, get my DL, and start the process of getting certified to work as a medic in NC.

It would have certainly been easier if employers accepted applications from people that don't have reciprocation, but I understand why they don't.