Hey, I'm new here

predestinedwarrior

Forum Ride Along
Hey, this is my first time posting on this forum. I'm new to a volunteer squad in Edison. I am not an EMT though, I'm a "cadet."

I took basic CPR, first aid, Osha and had an ambulance orientation, but I feel I'm still under trained. I responded to my first transport call (an MVA) where we had 3 pediatrics and an adult. We backboarded the adult and one kid, while the other two kids rode in pediatric seats. At the scene, a cadet my age and myself were very lost... I didn't even know how to use the stretcher! (after the call an EMT showed me...) (sidenote: what kinda knot do you need to tie a cravat to a backboard)
anyways, are there any websites or books I can read to further orient myself?

thank you :)

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
First welcome to the site and to EMS.
I hope you do not perceive my statement as slanderous or belittling, it is not directly personal to you by any means. Yes, you are way under-trained to be on a EMS unit. Why would any EMS service place anyone not at least the level of an EMT on a ambulance? Even the Basic EMT level is debatable for minimal training to be on an EMS unit.

In regards to a knot, I have not seen cravats used on a LSB for over 25 years!. I would hope they would have straps to secure patients with appropriate padding to ensure snugness, padding, and proper immobilization. Cravats these days are shorter, and definitely made of weaker material that could cause breakage and potentially have horrible outcome.

I suggest as I do to all starting out, get into a well developed EMS program. If you are really interested in EMS, then take applied science courses such as a real anatomy and physiology course, learn the body in detail then take a formal EMT course that has a lengthy clinical portion.

I wish you the best as you enter the EMS field, and again welcome to the site!

R/r 911

rgnoon

Forum Lieutenant
Welcome predestinedwarrior!

Rid, your post gives me the opportunity to bring up the fact that I was shocked when I saw cravats being used to secure a pt to the long board while doing my hospital time. Evidently it's SOP with University Hospital EMS in Newark, NJ. Our squads up north primarily use spider straps (a few still use the older style w/ metal buckles), but I hadn't even thought of using cravats. I can't even begin to imagine the number of cravats that they go through in a week with their volume. One after another, pts coming in strapped down with cravats and tape. I'm curious if they're used anywhere else (don't mean to hijack the thread, but its something that I found interesting).

firecoins

IFT Puppet

Rid, your post gives me the opportunity to bring up the fact that I was shocked when I saw cravats being used to secure a pt to the long board while doing my hospital time. Evidently it's SOP with University Hospital EMS in Newark, NJ. Our squads up north primarily use spider straps (a few still use the older style w/ metal buckles), but I hadn't even thought of using cravats. I can't even begin to imagine the number of cravats that they go through in a week with their volume. One after another, pts coming in strapped down with cravats and tape. I'm curious if they're used anywhere else (don't mean to hijack the thread, but its something that I found interesting).

what? University Hospital still uses cravats!!!! Holy it!!!.

In Rockland County NY, we still use the seatbelts. As of December, a FDNY crew did as well at a car accident I helped out at.

rgnoon

Forum Lieutenant
I definitely prefer the seatbelts over spider-straps, I feel that I can better immobilize the pt with them, and they tend to be quicker to implement. But yes....UH-EMS is still using cravats, and lots of them. Surprised me too.

OP
OP
P

predestinedwarrior

Forum Ride Along

yeah we transfered the patient to RWJUH
I'm in central NJ

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
WOW! Do they still use Thomas Half ring splints as well instead of Hare's or Sager splints? Of course, no where else still uses "first-aid" squads... welcome to 2007.

R/r 911

rgnoon

Forum Lieutenant
What we have here in the 'burbs and what they're using down there is like night and day. It was quite a shock, I must say. On the flip-side, what an amazing truama center they're running at UH-Newark. My partner and I spent a large part of our time there during our stay and are incredibly grateful for that experience. Now if only they could get some new straps and stretchers (the fernos they used were VERY old), or we may have some new additions to the "Have you ever dropped a pt" thread.

mrdell4150

Forum Crew Member
Hey, this is my first time posting on this forum. I'm new to a volunteer squad in Edison. I am not an EMT though, I'm a "cadet."

I took basic CPR, first aid, Osha and had an ambulance orientation, but I feel I'm still under trained. I responded to my first transport call (an MVA) where we had 3 pediatrics and an adult. We backboarded the adult and one kid, while the other two kids rode in pediatric seats. At the scene, a cadet my age and myself were very lost... I didn't even know how to use the stretcher! (after the call an EMT showed me...) (sidenote: what kinda knot do you need to tie a cravat to a backboard)
anyways, are there any websites or books I can read to further orient myself?

thank you :)

You basically need training from someone on your squad (I got mine from the president), we met at the building for a few weeks during our shift and did drills (basically we ran through what do to, became proficient in all types of patient moving devices, and learned where everything is on the rigs). I have not had time to take an EMT course yet (I am also a cadet) but because of the level of training I had, I am often asked if I am an EMT.