Help with some homework . .

HelpmeHelpyou

Forum Crew Member
Working on some assigned work given, Chapter on The Well being of EMT's. Have a question I don't quite understand what It might it be asking.

"State the possible reactions that the family of the EMT-Basic may exhibit due to their outside involvement in EMS."

Is this referring to what my personal family, how they would react to me working in the field of EMS ?

Last edited by a moderator:

angels.girl84

Forum Crew Member
I think your headed in the right direction What type of emotions can they go thru? Stress? Fear? Being on the outside they don't always see the full picture, just the scarier stuff sticks out to them..

Working on some assigned work given, Chapter on The Well being of EMT's. Have a question I don't quite understand what It might it be asking.

"State the possible reactions that the family of the EMT-Basic may exhibit due to their outside involvement in EMS."

Is this referring to what my personal family, how they would react to me working in the field of EMS ?

JPINFV

Gadfly
EMT class (well, any medical training to be honest) means that you are now Dr. House and are supposed to diagnose and develop a treatment plan for your friends and family on the spot.

FreezerStL

Forum Crew Member
EMT class (well, any medical training to be honest) means that you are now Dr. House and are supposed to diagnose and develop a treatment plan for your friends and family on the spot.

Isn't that the truth....

:wacko:

OP
OP
H

HelpmeHelpyou

Forum Crew Member
^ lol.

alright thank you. Just out of curiosity, if some of you can even remember your EMT basic classes. How many hours in your homework have you spent in a week. I am finding that just in one chapter and the work assigned and reading in a fashion I can comprehend what I read. Doing the chapter Cognitive and student workbook for that chapter. Using EMTb.com for help in remembering vocabularies,quizzes etc.(Very useful site and very informative) (Tuesday being my third) about a good 15-20 hours already in the last 3 days. 40 plus hours is what i am coming out to at this pace a week.

Chapters 1-6 - Chapter Cognitive only - Student workbook. And on top of that trying to remember what I read and vocabulary words.

o and I finshed my AWR 111 and 160 if any of you had to take that as well. That alone is a good 6 or so hours of reading and taking test. I made sure to get 100 percent on all of them because some you can take the quiz more then once. You also use the ERG for reference which is more reading material.

Just wanted to know, so I know i am not over loading myself and thinking I am doing something wrong.

Looks like we do about 5 chapters a week.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Homework? For EMT class? Maybe 30 minutes. I spent most of the lectures bored out of my mind reading and rereading the book anyways. My workbook ended up making a good monitor stand...

Edit: As a quick side note, I took an EMT class over Winter quarter of undergrad, so I already had intro-biology, general chem, calc/stats, genetics, and was working through biochem at the time. As such, being used to studying and my science background was not typical of EMT students.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Isn't that the truth....

:wacko:
Heh, and everytime somebody is sick in my family, my mom wants me to take their blood pressure. She doesn't care about anything else except the blood pressure. She expects me to give diagnosis based on that too. Oh, and everytime I say no, which I do, she says "What kind of EMT are you", and then starts to rant about how I let people die, and stuff like that. She'll wake me up early in the morning for this stuff too! Grr....

When I was in school, my dad would tell people I'm almost a doctor. One time there was an emergency that happened around us, and he told the arriving medics that I was an EMT even though I was just a student. I quickly told them I was a student, not an EMT yet. Now that I am finally an EMT, he tells people I am an EMT in training. -.-

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
They think you know more than you do, they think you can do more than you can, they expect more than they should, and they won't get the mentality and humor of those that work in EMS.

clibb

Forum Captain
A guy had a nose bleed at my other job last night. People were freaking out and yelling at me to stop his bleeding... Umm... If you can't stop a nose bleed at the age of 19, then maybe you should look over your life.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
A guy had a nose bleed at my other job last night. People were freaking out and yelling at me to stop his bleeding... Umm... If you can't stop a nose bleed at the age of 19, then maybe you should look over your life.
Yeh, why didn't you stop his nose bleed ffs?! What kind of EMT are you?!

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief

And if people freak out and yell over a nose bleed......?

What is your other job ?

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't remember ever being assigned homework in basic class. or medic school. We were to read our textbook at home, but never had any home work

Sasha

Forum Chief

Hahaha, plus one. So true. If I had a dime for everytime I got "Sasha can you look at this and tell me if it's infected?" or "I've got this symptom, this symptom, this symptom, and that symptom, what do you think I have?" I'd be rich.

I also find that people, once finding out that you even took a health care class, have no problem sharing intimiate details about their body with you. The abnormal smell coming from between your legs, their last bowel movement... The fact there's a tampon stuck up there and they want to know how to get it out.

mcdonl

Forum Captain
Be well, and study hard

OP, to answer your first question....

So, I get back from a call... guy is having an MI on the field at a youth sporting event. Small town, everyone knows someone who knows everyone. Know what I mean.

So, I show up. (HX, CALL ALS, ASA, Hi-Flow o2, pack 'n go)

Well, one of my kids is on his team, his wife is friends with my wife... get the picture. If I were not an EMT, and not involved in his call we would have just discussed it like everyone else, made speculations, etc... but being involved it puts the added stress on me, as I cannot discuss it with my family and my family has to alter their behavior as anything they say will be taken as something I told them, which of course I could not tell them anything.

Or...

I get back from a call, where someone meeting my oldest daughters exact demographics cut her wrists and took a bottle of pills. Same school, everything. I am not sure if they know each other but it hits home, and affects the family.

To answer your second question, I studied on average 90 minutes a day. 45 minutes at lunch, and 45 minutes in the evening. I will point out though that I did this prior to the class as well as during the class. Before Basic, and Intermediate classes even started I completed a text and workbook.

Some will say you do not need to study much, and that it is all easy common sense but a lot of people fail the test too. You do not see them on here posting about their failure, because as a rule the people who fail the test do not do independent study, and it is my guess that the people who choose to come to sites like this DO independent study.

Good luck, and be well :) not because it is in the book, because you are a person who deserves to be well.

JPINFV

Gadfly
they won't get the mentality and humor of those that work in EMS.

Actually, my sense of humor has a strong genetic connection. I very much blame my dad for that.

clibb

Forum Captain
And if people freak out and yell over a nose bleed......?

What is your other job ?

I'm a waiter at a restaurant. We pie people who are leaving that has been with us for a while. One of my friends was leaving to go study in Bulgaria so I pied him. Didn't even pie him that hard and he started bleeding.

Yeh, why didn't you stop his nose bleed ffs?! What kind of EMT are you?!

Ha, it was everyone else freaking out and not him. He controlled it pretty well.

Veneficus

Forum Chief

yea, and the farther you go, the more people that ask more frequently. I now see how many hours I get get through in a day before somebody solicits medical advice.

The idea of going a whole 24 hours is just a dream.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
But you'll die poor!

An aspect that hasn't been covered is the societal directive that we seek fame and fortune. Using myself as an example, I grew up upper-middle class (moderate-end country club stuff), in a fairly typical US environment that stressed seeking such things as "career paths" and "upward mobility".

I chose medicine in the "helping professions". I was one of the first paramedics helping to form the new profession and NOT ONCE did any of my family members understand or appreciate the value of the work I did at the time.

The world seemed to look at EMS as a transient losers non-profession, certainly nothing that has the potential for success (or respectability) that most mainstream professions hold.

Today, I'd imagine the irrational concerns of family members would center around spending so much time and energy investing into a non-profession that puts you in physical and emotional danger.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief

If you truly believe that, then you've never run on an uncontrolled epistaxis call, of which I've done two.

One was VERY shocky, as in pale and lethargic after half filling a spaghetti pot with blood. The other was this past weekend and he was on an ASA and Coumadin regimine....