Help with ALS algorithm!

MizRizQuick

Forum Probie
Finally got out of A&P and into the Paramedic cirriculum and I'm having a TON of trouble with the ALS algorithm. Test on it is tomorrow night and I feel like such a dork because something that should be easy is so so so hard for me. :unsure:

Anyone have any little learning tips or tricks for this? Thanks!!!

uscgk9

Forum Crew Member
You need to remember the boxes. One problem my students have is that when they are following the Tachycardia and Bradycardia they confuse the key word "Stable" and "Perfusion". Stable and unstable is used with Tachycardia while Poor perfusion and adequate perfusion is for Bradycardia. Also remember not to look at the monitor after you deliver a shock. Go right into 2 minutes of CPR than check the pulse and rhythm. Two minutes of CPR is a long time. You should be able to push 2 meds during these 2 minutes. A good trick to learn from is to create the flow chart with blank boxes. If you fill in all the blanks you should be able to talk your way through the algorhythms. Good luck and study hard.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Don't quite understand since algorithms are pretty cut and dried and very simple. Hopefully, you understand the pathophysiology and reason for medication(s) rather than just following the tree.

R/r 911

So. IL Medic

Forum Lieutenant
Finally got out of A&P and into the Paramedic cirriculum and I'm having a TON of trouble with the ALS algorithm. Test on it is tomorrow night and I feel like such a dork because something that should be easy is so so so hard for me. :unsure:

Anyone have any little learning tips or tricks for this? Thanks!!!

MIght be a little late but draw out the algorithms on note cards. Step by step. That way you can break it down into smaller pieces rather than one intimidating chunk. Use your note cards as flash cards and repeatedly test yourself until you can smoothly flow from one to the next.

Next time, don't wait until the night before. This stuff can take a while to sink in.

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
You'll feel stupid for doing this, BUT, if I have a hard time learning something, I'll pretend I'm teaching someone on how to do it. And, yes, you WILL look mentally challenged, but it works.