Help!! Where can I get CE in California??

rookieemt17

Forum Ride Along
Hello,
I need help!! My cert is about to expire in March and I need Continuing education for recertification. I'm in California. The only Place I've found so far is 1hr and a half away.
Where can I get CE credits? How does it all work? Can I do it online?
I also should mention I have yet to use my certification and work as an EMT because I became pregnant. so I really have no one to ask since I'm not working but I don't want all my hard work to go to waste and want to be able to work next year.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Depends on the county you are recertifying in. Check your protocols to recert. Some counties allow all 24 hours online. Other will only allow say 12 hours online and 12 hours instructor based. All depends.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Or other silly requirements like you can only have 8 hours of online CEs in one day (guess who did 9hours on a day off thinking he was being productive before discovering that little requirement? lol)

In any case, check with your EMT school where you got your initial cert, they may have a 24hr refresher course (mine does one once every month, takes a Mon-Fri weekend and includes skills testing), and they also let you sit in on the initial cert classes for CE credits, your school might have a similar offer that doesn't require an hour and a half drive to a dedicated refresher.

But in any case, I also signed up at distancecme.com for my online CEs.

CALEMT

Medic-ce.com and targetsolutions.com are some good online CE providers.

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
Take a single health-related ITV class. It's hybrid (6 days online, 1 on campus - either Sat or Sun, any LACCD school of your choice), anywhere between 1 and 3 college credits and it'll both cover the CE plus get you transferable units. The winter session is open for enrollment, it's early Jan to early Feb.

CALEMT

Also if you've taken a medically related college class (A&P for ex) then that can count towards CE credit. How much depends on your county.

CALEMT

I believe it has to be taken recently though ? Correct if wrong.

Wouldn't know. My last recert (last month) I had enough CE's accumulated through work to recert. In my county x amount of credits = x amount of CE hours. As to the question like I said I wouldn't know. My best guess would be within the 2 year cycle.

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
Wouldn't know. My last recert (last month) I had enough CE's accumulated through work to recert. In my county x amount of credits = x amount of CE hours. As to the question like I said I wouldn't know. My best guess would be within the 2 year cycle.

Makes sense. It's the same in every county I know of, either 8 hrs per or 10 hrs per. Am not sure about the grace period though. But seems like a win-win, if there aren't any CE hrs available from work. I believe it'll cost cheaper too (state residency discount applies).