Help out a newbie with filling out DL 51? :)

linziclip

Forum Probie
Hello!
I am applying for an ambulance driver certificate in California..I had two questions..
On the actual certificate, the little green card, above where the doctor signed, it has two fields, 'med. Eff. Date' and 'med.exp.date'. I'm guessing it's the expiration date of the certificate, but what should the doctor write there?

Is the effective date the day I got the examination done? What is the expiration date? My doctor wasn't sure how to fill it out, so he left that field blank...

Also, on the dmv form out asks if I am applying for an inter- or intra- state license..I'm assuming I should put inter?

Any more tips for taking the ambulance written test tomorrow?

Thanks!

JPINFV

Gadfly
Hello!
I am applying for an ambulance driver certificate in California..I had two questions..
On the actual certificate, the little green card, above where the doctor signed, it has two fields, 'med. Eff. Date' and 'med.exp.date'. I'm guessing it's the expiration date of the certificate, but what should the doctor write there?

Off the top of my head, effetive date would be the date he signs off on it. Experation date would be based on the criteria provided. Assuming no issues, it's 2 years. Things like HTN can cause a shorter licensure period, and their BP guidelines are hard guidelines.

Also, on the dmv form out asks if I am applying for an inter- or intra- state license..I'm assuming I should put inter?

If you're just doing ambulance work, then it's intrastate since you are, with rare exception, crossing state lines in most cases.

OP
OP
L

linziclip

Forum Probie
Off the top of my head, effetive date would be the date he signs off on it. Experation date would be based on the criteria provided. Assuming no issues, it's 2 years. Things like HTN can cause a shorter licensure period, and their BP guidelines are hard guidelines.

If you're just doing ambulance work, then it's intrastate since you are, with rare exception, crossing state lines in most cases.

Thanks! Yeah, there were no health issues...so I'll put the two years..

It's in Los Angeles..so pretty far from any state lines...
Also, I read somewhere that you can't do intrastate until you're 21..I'm 19..have you heard of that?

JPINFV

Gadfly
Thanks! Yeah, there were no health issues...so I'll put the two years..

It's in Los Angeles..so pretty far from any state lines...
Also, I read somewhere that you can't do intrastate until you're 21..I'm 19..have you heard of that?

First, interstate, like the interstate highway system, goes between states. Intrastate stays inside one state. The vast majority of EMS transports will be intrastate.

Second, I haven't heard either way abotu a rule regarding an age for driving interstate, so I can't speak to whether it exists or not.

OP
OP
L

linziclip

Forum Probie
First, interstate, like the interstate highway system, goes between states. Intrastate stays inside one state. The vast majority of EMS transports will be intrastate.

Second, I haven't heard either way abotu a rule regarding an age for driving interstate, so I can't speak to whether it exists or not.

Ah. You're right, i don't know why I had those flipped in my head.

Thanks!