HELP!!!: Need PROPER Stretcher Lifting Advice

Nuge

Forum Ride Along
Hi Folks. I am new here, and would like some input on the issue of proper stretcher lifting techniques. I am a second year Paramedic student at my local Community College. I have been questioning the lifting methods being presented to us by the faculty, and would like to hear what some of the Medics on here think. THEY say you should lift with your knees inside of your arms with your feet closer together. I feel you should stand with your feet approx. shoulder width apart with arms inside the knees. Any input on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Scout

Para-Noid
knees bend
Broad stable base
back straight( note note necessarily vertical)
arms in line with trunk
Firm palmar grip
weight close to ctr of body

So if your arms are outside our knees you loose 2 and 6 at least.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
For this, you want to look at the trunk and leg positions... disregard the arms:

6a010534c79eb6970c0120a521aca0970c-450wi

Her knees are perhaps a little too far apart, but the idea is that if you're lifting from ground level, you want your feet about that far apart, and knees right over the big toe. Notice that her back is straight. That's about how you do the trunk & legs portion of this.

Below is about how you want your arms: (See the middle picture)
image44236.jpg

When you begin your lift, that's about how you want your arms. You're going to grip the stretcher in about that position. Lift with your legs. Concentrate on keeping your back straight (not necessarily vertical) while you lift.

While loading the stretcher, you're going to have to do something like a standing bicep curl, which looks like this:
curls2.JPG

Basically, you lift up enough to get the undercarriage off the ground and proceed to load the stretcher into the ambulance.

Good technique will do wonders for your ability to lift and load ambulance stretchers. It really will. Exact loading technique depends upon which type of stretcher you're using, but the lifting portion is basically what I outlined above.

OP
OP
N

Nuge

Forum Ride Along
Thank you for your time and input. I have looked high and low, and have yet to read anywhere how a narraow stance with your arms outside of your knees is favoured over a wider stance with your arms inside your knees. I think if anything, it may set you up for injury to yourself or patient.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
A narrow stance can help you keep your knee over your big toe. This is important in preventing knee injury. If you have some experience power lifting, or as you gain experience, you'll find that a slightly wider stance is more stable, but that it will cost you a little in terms of total height that you can lift safely. The two biggest things to remember to do are to keep your back straight (do NOT twist) and to keep your kneecaps over your big toes.