Help...In need of a job, MN

AshWredberg

Forum Probie
I just recently certified as an EMT basic by the state of Minnesota and The NREMT. I have no experience in the field. Almost every job is requiring experience, and it seems impossible to come by. Financially I am struggling with two kids and... I'm asking if anyone out there has any suggestions or recommendations that could help me out!

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Look at strickly transport companies. Theres plenty of them and highly doubt they require exp.

cruiseforever

Forum Asst. Chief
Where do you live? In the Metro the main players would be North, Allina, Healtheast, and CART. You may have to start in a wheelchair van and then get moved up to BLS transfers. With Allina you maybe able to move to ALS over time.

OP
OP
AshWredberg

AshWredberg

Forum Probie
Where do you live? In the Metro the main players would be North, Allina, Healtheast, and CART. You may have to start in a wheelchair van and then get moved up to BLS transfers. With Allina you maybe able to move to ALS over time.

I Live in Anoka County

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Like everyone is saying BLS IFT is going to be your best bet. Usually all those types of companies require is your EMT card and a pulse. This is where you'll get your experience and assessments down and it will get you ready for a 911 job.

cruiseforever

Forum Asst. Chief

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
I just recently certified as an EMT basic by the state of Minnesota and The NREMT. I have no experience in the field. Almost every job is requiring experience, and it seems impossible to come by. Financially I am struggling with two kids and... I'm asking if anyone out there has any suggestions or recommendations that could help me out!

Can look in hospitals too if your area uses EMTs as techs.

azbrewcrew

Forum Crew Member
The Beast seems to hire EMTs on a continual basis. Not sure what that says about their operation though...

cruiseforever

Forum Asst. Chief
The Beast seems to hire EMTs on a continual basis. Not sure what that says about their operation though...

There are many EMTs that have been there for 10+ years. There is steady movement of people going from IFT transport to 911 EMT then moving to medic. And then there are those that get into it and find out it's not for them.

The company has continued growth. I think they run a pretty good operation.

azbrewcrew

Forum Crew Member
That makes sense. Figured it may have been like AZ where we have constant turnover. I was going to apply there but Ive been doing this far too long (9+ years urban 911) to go back to BLS IFT or wheelchair van

Emergency Metaphysics

Forum Lieutenant
Hi, I'm actually looking at Minnesota to do what's called my Phase Two Internship for paramedic school. Since I'm next door to you in South Dakota I can tell you Allina Health and Gold Cross (I've been told) hire new EMTs. Gold Cross is owned/operated by the Mayo Clinic, so you'll get to put your hands on nice trucks with nice equipment. The fact that you live in Minnesota already is a plus. Also, Sioux Falls, SD-based Sanford Health, which operates in parts of Minnesota hires new EMTs, however many times this is a paid PRN job, rather than a full-time gig. I'm not familiar with Ramsey, MN, so you might be out of range.

That said, if there's nothing going in your area, you may have to make the hard choice of doing either volunteer work on an ambulance service or move to an area that's in need of EMTs. I got my EMT start splitting my time between two ALS services around the city I live in. But I concur with those who have recommended getting started in IFT while you look for a BLS or ALS service.

Cheers,
M.

OP
OP
AshWredberg

AshWredberg

Forum Probie
Ramsey is in Anoka county, by anoka, elk river, coon Rapids. The other big issue I have is my resume. I have one Taylored for customer service, but I have not a clue how I should reformat it in an EMT perspective! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Emergency Metaphysics

Forum Lieutenant
Ramsey is in Anoka county, by anoka, elk river, coon Rapids. The other big issue I have is my resume. I have one Taylored for customer service, but I have not a clue how I should reformat it in an EMT perspective! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Tailor your resume to emphasis any and all medical-related experience, even if it's just volunteer work at this point. If you don't have any of that to put on there, then I would probably recommend highlighting customer service experience where you have had to deal with people one-on-one, problem solve, work with diverse populations, or had to take charge. Your aim will be to present yourself as a competent, well-spoken, problem-solver with a desire to learn, as well as tackle challenges.

Also, feel free to write up a resume and post it here. I'm sure a few of us could look at it and offer some suggestions on how to tweak it.

Hope that helps.
M.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
But don't omit your customer service experience. EMS, especially private ems is a customer service job.