Help anyone?

Weiliipatch

Forum Ride Along
Hello, my name is Brad and Im new to these forums. I started EMT class last Thursday an the first thing my instructor had stated was "If you have ever been convicted of a DUI or any type of felony you are wasting your time taking this class because you will not be hired by anyone. However we can not force you to leave the class." Well, I've never been arrested for anything like that, but when I was eighteen years old I was in an altercation with my older brother. He attempted to call the police by using my phone and I ripped the phone cord out of the wall. He used his cell phone thinking that they would seperate us and they would put a scare in me. Neither my brother or I were aware of a law in Georgia that forces officers to arrest at least one person when answering a domestic disturbance call. I was charged with simple battery, obstruction and minor consumption. Since then I completed a mandatory twenty-four weeks of anger management courses succesfully and have not had a brush with the law since. I also no longer drink alcohol. I am now twenty-two years old and I was very excited about taking this course and recieving my certificate. Am I wasting my time? Is there anything I can do. Any help/input would be appreciated very much. I look forward to communicating in the future via these forums. Thank you very much. Bradly.

Epi-do

I see dead people
Contact you state EMS office and see if your record will affect your ability to get certified. They are the best ones to answer this question. Once you have that answer, call around to some local services and ask if it would be a problem when applying for a job.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Hello, my name is Brad and Im new to these forums. I started EMT class last Thursday an the first thing my instructor had stated was "If you have ever been convicted of a DUI or any type of felony you are wasting your time taking this class because you will not be hired by anyone. However we can not force you to leave the class." Well, I've never been arrested for anything like that, but when I was eighteen years old I was in an altercation with my older brother. He attempted to call the police by using my phone and I ripped the phone cord out of the wall. He used his cell phone thinking that they would seperate us and they would put a scare in me. Neither my brother or I were aware of a law in Georgia that forces officers to arrest at least one person when answering a domestic disturbance call. I was charged with simple battery, obstruction and minor consumption. Since then I completed a mandatory twenty-four weeks of anger management courses succesfully and have not had a brush with the law since. I also no longer drink alcohol. I am now twenty-two years old and I was very excited about taking this course and recieving my certificate. Am I wasting my time? Is there anything I can do. Any help/input would be appreciated very much. I look forward to communicating in the future via these forums. Thank you very much. Bradly.

Weil,

It really does depend on what, whom, when and how long ago it all got resolved. There is an appeals process that one must resign him/herself to enduring and it is sometimes very successful. First step is to determine if you are able to go through the process before you'll know whether you could be eligible for licensure. Our past often comes back to haunt us but, the system does recognize the ignorance of youth where appropriate.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
You will probably be ok if you explain your situation. I have co-workers that have DUIs, and they were hired. They are attendant only, however, and cannot drive the ambulance.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
You will probably be ok if you explain your situation. I have co-workers that have DUIs, and they were hired. They are attendant only, however, and cannot drive the ambulance.

His charges aren't as simple as a DUI.

a domestic disturbance call. I was charged with simple battery, obstruction and minor consumption.
Some states will have special exclusions from certification when it comes to domestic violence or any act of violence.

However, only the state EMS office can give you the information you are seeking with any accuracy.

OP
OP
W

Weiliipatch

Forum Ride Along
Ok.

Well I called the state EMS office and they are sending me policy information. The operator from internal affairs, which was the branch in which I was directed to, stated that I should be ok from just the details I had described to him. Im going to make a few phone calls and see if there is a way to get this expunged off my record. Thank you guys so much for your input and direction. Bradly.

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
Most States will still grant you certification as long as the crime did not deal with moral turpitude (ie sexual offense, theft, child/elder abuse, or other crimes involving dishonesty).

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
given that it happened 6 years ago, and if you're record has been clean since you may be able to succesfully become employed. really hurts if it went down on you're record as assault, battery or domestic violence though. had a guy in my emt class who had some sort of felony charge in his youth, who was still cleared to complete his clinicals. the charges may of been dropped though

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
A big question in my mind about this would have been whether or not the OP was actually convicted of anything. It is not unheard of to have a conviction stayed pending completion of a diversion program, and then to have charges dropped. A criminal records check might show the arrest but no corresponding conviction in that case.

To the OP: you should check with the courts to see what the disposition of your case was. You should also check with the law enforcement folks to see if there's a way that you can get a copy of your criminal record. If there's a discrepancy between the two, you should then see if there's a mechanism in place to correct the discrepancy.

It might also behoove you to see if there's any expungement possible for you, if you were convicted of something. That is sometimes possible... so you might want to check on that as well.

I don't know if Georgia has any of these laws/abilities available to you... but check on it. It might not be too much of an issue at the EMT-Basic level, but it might be an issue if you advance to Paramedic.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
While technically this may be a non issue, if you are applying in a highly competitive area and the HR dept has a choice between you and someone without the history you describe, they will choose the other applicant. In order to overcome a past like this, your resume, grades, skills and personal demeanor will have to be stellar instead of just ok.