Hello from Tucson, Arizona :)

axle

Forum Ride Along
Reaction score
Hello everyone. My name is Alexander and I'm from Tucson, Arizona. I am starting EMT training this fall and found this site today!
Since I was young I've always wanted to be in the public service field, perhaps Police or EMS. I never did it because I was overweight but I've lost 100 pounds so far and I'm starting to get in really good shape so I figured I could follow my dreams now :)

If anyone has any advice for an EMT student I would love to hear it! :)

Best advice that I can give you is learn learn learn. Do as many ride alongs as you can even before you start your classes. When in class try not to be the guy that tries to trump everyones story *we hated the guy in my class*. Try and find a mentor that can sit down with you and talk about the field.

Best advice that I can give you is learn learn learn. Do as many ride alongs as you can even before you start your classes. When in class try not to be the guy that tries to trump everyones story *we hated the guy in my class*. Try and find a mentor that can sit down with you and talk about the field.

I can do ride alongs before I start my classes?!

If you can find a company that allows it yes. You wont be able to have any pt contact but you should still be able to observe

Wow that's great. I'm going to call around and try and do that. Thank you!

Your welcome.. Private companies are more likely to let you do a ride along than say a fire dept or hospital based service

Welcome. I found this forum a few months ago, when I was getting ready to attempt the national registry test for the 2nd time. I feel like being on here actually helped me prepare. Just as an aside, since you brought it up in your post, EMTs are perceived more healthcare than they are public safety (unless you get on with a firehouse or something). It makes a difference in pay (at least where I'm from). I agree with the above post, learn learn learn. I really enjoyed my EMT class. While I asked a ton of questions, I wished I had asked even more.

PS My husband and I were in Tucson last Dec....spent time in the Rincon Mountains. Beautiful! And not another soul in sight! :)

Your welcome.. Private companies are more likely to let you do a ride along than say a fire dept or hospital based service

Not in AZ. Southwest ambulance (aka Rural/Metro) is the big one (and serves the Tucson area). They have a no-ride along policy. I know because I tried when I was in EMT class. Most FDs have rules on how many times per month/year you can but in general allow it.

Back