Hello from Florida

floridamed224

Forum Crew Member
Hello everyone,

I am new here and wanted to say Hello. I live in Florida and currently am a middle school teacher. This August I plan to start EMT school and then hopefully Medic school.

When I lived in South Carolina and was in college I volunteered with an ambulance rescue squad as a first responder and absolutely loved it. There are not many organizations in Florida to volunteer with so I hope that after completing EMT and/or Paramedic school I will find a good company to work for.

I am sure I will have plenty of questions as the months go by so see you all in the forums.

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Greetings from Sarasota, FL. Welcome to EMTLife.com.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Where are you in Florida? There are still some vollie groups but few and far between...

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Central Florida...well you are out of luck. No vollies....you will have to drive quite a ways to do that.

Once certified, you will also be limited to mostly IFT if you want to work with that patch.

Sorry no good news to share...

OP
OP
floridamed224

floridamed224

Forum Crew Member
I am. Do you know alot about them? I tried to private message you but apparently I can not just yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
floridamed224

floridamed224

Forum Crew Member
Sorry, I misread what you wrote earlier. I am planning on going there starting late August. It is good to hear that you had a great experience. I know they are accredited but I wasn't sure how hard it is for people to pass the exam after going there. I toured the school and it looks really nice.
Have you considered doing their Paramedic program? I am thinking about it but wasn't sure how well they prepared their students for the anatomy and physiology requirements of being a medic. Of course my current goal is to complete the EMT program but was just wondering about what challenges students had completing the Paramedic program without taking A&P.

Wily

Forum Ride Along
I am in a paramedic program at a school in GA now that is similar to OMI. If I had stayed in FL I definitely would have gone there for my medic. As far as how well they prepare their students for medic A&P, I think it is probably very difficult for a lot of people who haven't already taken an A&P class for the simple reason that at Orlando Medical Institute, the program is very accelerated and they probably can't afford to spend too much time taking students from zero knowledge of anatomy and physiology to medic levels of knowledge. I can't personally speak as to how difficult it was because I am lucky enough to have a degree in biology so I had that background already. My advice to you would be to audit a college class in A&P or do a lot of studying on your own ahead of time.

OP
OP
floridamed224

floridamed224

Forum Crew Member
I am in a paramedic program at a school in GA now that is similar to OMI. If I had stayed in FL I definitely would have gone there for my medic. As far as how well they prepare their students for medic A&P, I think it is probably very difficult for a lot of people who haven't already taken an A&P class for the simple reason that at Orlando Medical Institute, the program is very accelerated and they probably can't afford to spend too much time taking students from zero knowledge of anatomy and physiology to medic levels of knowledge. I can't personally speak as to how difficult it was because I am lucky enough to have a degree in biology so I had that background already. My advice to you would be to audit a college class in A&P or do a lot of studying on your own ahead of time.

They seem like they have a great program. I have only had high school Biology so I probably will be in for an awakening. I am taking an online A&P class but I don't feel like it is preparing me enough as I would like it to. If I would like to take A&P at my local college I will have to take at least 2 intro to Biology classes before I can take the two A&P classes. So I probably will have to stick to teaching it to myself or depend on my girlfriend (former nursing student).