Hello eveybody

Keith Roberts

Forum Probie
Hi. I'm new to forum. I'm currently saving up to start my emt b class. Any advise before I enter the program?

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Don't beg for money.

EMT class shouldn't be too expensive. I went to a community college and it was about $500. I see that some private schools can range around $1,000. You should be able to save that money if you have a job right now. Both public and private schools usually have options where you can be loaned the money and pay it back slowly (that's what I did for paramedic) or there might even be a grant (also did that, partially payed for my medic schooling).

In most areas, EMTs make around minimum wage or even volunteer. We usually (somewhat) jokingly say that people that work at In-N-Out make more than us. Not the right audience to ask for money. There are places that do pay EMTs and paramedics decently, but they are uncommon.

daniduck

Forum Crew Member
-Save up to $3000, depending on who you're taking the education organziation, youre gonna be paying your way into the course. Why up to $3000, its a insurance to make sure you will have everything you need for your training.
-PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR INSTRUCTORS LECTURS!! Not all the time will your instructor go over every nook and cranny inside your text book, and he or she may talk about things that are not in the book. With that being said, it helped voice recording my instructors lectures for later additional notes ive missed.
-Do all assignments youre given! If youre given a syllabus of your semester or entire year course, keep it handy and frequently reveiwing it to prevent any suprises.
- KEEP. YOUR. SKILL. SHEET.!! And I repeat, KEEP YOUR SKILL SHEET!! That is more or less your holy bible in the course, if you have a hard *** instructor like i did, do not risk losing it cause you can write notes in it.
-keep copies of your certificates such as, all of your nims, hazmat, and POST...those you wont ever have to take again, HOWEVER, if you do not have proof that you have completed them, youll waste your time in retaking it.
-dont feel intimidated to step in and help while in clinicals, trust your skills, trust your common sense, trust your gut.
-write down your schedules, make sure you are aware times, places and anything else you have planned outside of the course... that has happened to me and did not wnd well.
-just stay ontop of your game!

Hope for the best, Good Luck!!

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
$3000 for EMT class? Where did you go to school at? They nickel and dime you to death but not to that degree.

You can print skill sheets off the NREMT website so if you lose it not the end of the world but you will need to know it verbatim so study it in order to pass your practical exam, just remember that once you're out in the field that it's different than the way the skill sheets are written.

My best advice is read the chapter you'll be going over in class prior to going to class. Write down any questions you may have. Use the chapter objectives which are listed at the beginning of each chapter to your advantage. Those are things that are going to be on the test. Knowing the vocabulary terms for each chapter is important as well.

If you can take an A&P course prior to starting class. It will help you understand why you are doing things rather than just "see x, do y expect z". Ideally having a biology, pathophysiology, medical terminology and chemistry class at the college level would make your life even easier especially once you get to Patamedic school if you go that route. The way EMS is moving a degree will be required for new Paramedics sometime in the hopefully not-so-distant future

daniduck

Forum Crew Member
$3000 for EMT class? Where did you go to school at? They nickel and dime you to death but not to that degree.

You can print skill sheets off the NREMT website so if you lose it not the end of the world but you will need to know it verbatim so study it in order to pass your practical exam, just remember that once you're out in the field that it's different than the way the skill sheets are written.

My best advice is read the chapter you'll be going over in class prior to going to class. Write down any questions you may have. Use the chapter objectives which are listed at the beginning of each chapter to your advantage. Those are things that are going to be on the test. Knowing the vocabulary terms for each chapter is important as well.

If you can take an A&P course prior to starting class. It will help you understand why you are doing things rather than just "see x, do y expect z". Ideally having a biology, pathophysiology, medical terminology and chemistry class at the college level would make your life even easier especially once you get to Patamedic school if you go that route. The way EMS is moving a degree will be required for new Paramedics sometime in the hopefully not-so-distant future
I took mine at my local hospital. Ive now nearly apent over $1500 towards this course cause of uniform which the place i got it from is a freakin rip off, books, gas, background check, the course itself was $650, medical expenses, plus i had some car trouble over the fall that costed me over $540 all together to repair, missed 2 classes and 1 clinical... anyway enough of that! But its just insurance i mean you can save $2000 and still be A-OK...id personally would want to have more than enough money put away for the course. Its merely insurance. $3000 does sound over board, but thats what i did.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
I took mine at my local hospital. Ive now nearly apent over $1500 towards this course cause of uniform which the place i got it from is a freakin rip off, books, gas, background check, the course itself was $650, medical expenses, plus i had some car trouble over the fall that costed me over $540 all together to repair, missed 2 classes and 1 clinical... anyway enough of that! But its just insurance i mean you can save $2000 and still be A-OK...id personally would want to have more than enough money put away for the course. Its merely insurance. $3000 does sound over board, but thats what i did.
This makes no sense. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief

EMTs are known to have the best logical thinking out of any other job profession.