Hello everyone.

LG1ALBERTA

Forum Ride Along
Hello all,

I am gonna be starting my new journey to become a paramedic here in Alberta, Canada. I will be starting my EMR program in September this year, I am looking forward to this new career path. Out of high school (2009) I became a plumber and gas fitter and got my Journeyman Ticket in that trade in 2015.

My question for you all is:

What made you want to become a EMR, Primary Care Paramedic (formerly EMT) , Advanced Care Paramedic (formerly EMT-P)?

I have always thought about getting into becoming a medic, but it wasn't until the start of 2018 that I decided to go ahead and start moving forward with this new path as things in life happen and bring up these chances for a new beginning.

Foxem

Forum Probie
I wish you the best of luck with your schooling. Its also really nice that you have a good, useful trade should you ever need to fall back on it.

My reason for getting into it is pretty simple. When I was 12 I got to go on a call with the FD. I remember all the little details too. The overwhelming smell of cigarette smoke in the house, the little yappy kickdog gnawing at the firemen's turnouts, all the over-dramatic crying and screaming from the family. I even remember what was on the TV (It was Indiana Jones: Kingdom of the crystal skull). We got there and inside the small house there was a man laying on the ground. He was as pale as a ghost. The captain placed me right next to him too, just so I could see everything that was going on. I then watched 4 men bring the other man back to life over the course of a few minutes. It was like magic to me. He was dead and then, he wasn't. It was ROSC too. I didn't ever find out that that's rare until I went to EMT school. They loaded him up into the ambulance and off he went. On the way back to the station, we talked about it and they told me "One day you can do that too. That isn't even the coolest thing we get to do on a regular basis."

And 7 years later, I'm doing it. The 30th is day 1 of my career in EMS. I'm looking forwards to it, and I hope you're looking forwards to yours too. Brush up on your BLS my friend, you're going to need it for school.

OP
OP
L

LG1ALBERTA

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for the kind words Foxem. I did have fun learning a trade but I just want something else outta my life. I used to belong to SJA cadets in the UK when I was younger and used to go to all the soccer games and literally be feet from the turf helping standby medics( mostly there for the free burgers lol.)

That sounds like a really intense scene to see at such a young age, I have witnessed a man get hit by a car as he was J-Walking while being distracted looking at his iPod and had big noise cancelling head phones on. Then BAMMM! up he went onto the hood, windshield, into the air doing a summersault and then he hit the floor ( I saw it all happen in slow motion ) luckily guy was okay though.

I have been starting to study Human A+P ( 1 hour each day ) as I know that will be a tough big part throughout the entire career. And I just recently did a 2 day Health Care Provider - CPR + Standard First Aid Course which is a pre- requisite for my EMR Course.