Hello all! Just need some advice!

emtsara

Forum Ride Along
Hello everybody!

I just wanted to let you all know of my story to see if anyone has some advice for me to use.

I finished my EMT school over a year ago. I passed with flying colors and also passed my NREMT test the first try. I loved school and did very well. About a month after finishing school I was diagnosed with a very rare blood disease. Its called ITP. Its a disease that causes my body to kill my platelets. (It's cool bieng on here and not having to explain what platelets are ;) ) I was hospitilized for a while and have been undergoing treatments ever since from Infusions, steroids, and even Chemotherapy. It has been a very hard endevour but Its finally starting to look up! My platelet count has been at a normal range for a while now so I have gotten back into the job search. I got all of my certs taken care of except for my ambulance drivers license. But I have an appointment for that in a couple weeks. I have been trying really hard to go back through my book and brush up on all the things I learned. I'm just having some trouble getting through it. I don't have any of my skills papers any more or my study guides. I have been going through reading my book but I'm just not remembering things like I should be. I know if I had some different ways to go over it and study it would help so much!!!

So if you have some useful ways to go over things just to remember it a little better that would be so amazing!!! I'm just so nervous to go get a job when I can't remember everything I have learned. I don't want to be the annoying EMT people are going to have to work with that doesn't remember anything :blush:

If you have anything that you think will help I will appreciate it so much!!

Thanks guys!!!! :cool::wub:

chet

Forum Crew Member
Hi,
I may not be the one to offer advice since I haven't taken my written exam yet, but I did pass the skills portion. I am all on my own though since the class I took didn't prepare us for the NREMT exam, my state changed to NREMT right after the class was over. SO I have been studying on the emtb.com website it is really awesome with loads of info. Also I have been studying with smartmedic online too. And I got a book called emt-basic exam 4th addition and it seems good. As for your skill sheets, I know my state has a webpage through the dept of health where they can be downloaded. I'm nervous too that I will be the annoying EMT that doesn't remember anything, and the weakling that can't lift. But after I pass I am going to work on my body strength...keep on truckin and don't ever give up!!!!! Oh yeah, if you are short on cash like me, the library is the place to go for EMT study guides. Bye and take care....:)

OP
OP
emtsara

emtsara

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for that! I will definitely look into it! I'm going in to take my ambulance driver test on tuesday so I've been studying my butt off trying to get everything drilled in. I found some good study guides for that. I'm just doing the normal new person nerves. I'm just hoping I remember enough to get the job then learning the rest from work experience.

mjp317

Forum Ride Along
My advise to you would to go into your local ambulance service and spend some time with the staff. Run calls, when your not running calls ask questions, go through scenerios.. Hands on experience is the best wayto learn.

chet

Forum Crew Member
Good for you!! Keep following your dream and don't get discouraged:) I think the term "ambulance driver" is a no-no though. EMT is the preferred title:p Just thought I'd mention that as my instructor nearly needed O2 when describing his hatred for those who called him an ambulance driver. Ha-ha.... he should have been a little more concerned with his quality of teaching! Take Care!

Anjel

Forum Angel
Good for you!! Keep following your dream and don't get discouraged:) I think the term "ambulance driver" is a no-no though. EMT is the preferred title:p Just thought I'd mention that as my instructor nearly needed O2 when describing his hatred for those who called him an ambulance driver. Ha-ha.... he should have been a little more concerned with his quality of teaching! Take Care!

In California there is actually a cert called "Ambulance Driver certificate". Just an FYI.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/ambu_drvr_cert.htm

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Knowledge wise, learning new material, or things beyond your scope, will likely help you review old material and build on top of it.

Skill wise, it's an algorithm. Click here to see an old comment I made on patient assessment.

The skill sheets for NREMT can be found here.

chet

Forum Crew Member
Oh wow, I wish I had known that back at the training center! Maybe I could have chilled that dude out.....

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
The info for test review (which helps you review for new-hire tests and the actual field) has been posted a few times. I suggest looking those ups. If you did well in school, a lot of the stuff will start coming back to you after a few days of review.

I know JB Course sells some question test-banks. But really reviewing your book summaries of each chapter would probably be best. Read up on the topics you don't remember well. Or anything having to do with ABCs.

OP
OP
emtsara

emtsara

Forum Ride Along

Lol. Ya I'm actually going to the DMV to take my ambulance driving written test. I already have all my actual EMT stuff. Its the last thing I need to take the have all my certs.

Nuro

Forum Ride Along
Hello everybody!

I just wanted to let you all know of my story to see if anyone has some advice for me to use.

I finished my EMT school over a year ago. I passed with flying colors and also passed my NREMT test the first try. I loved school and did very well. About a month after finishing school I was diagnosed with a very rare blood disease. Its called ITP. Its a disease that causes my body to kill my platelets. (It's cool bieng on here and not having to explain what platelets are ;) ) I was hospitilized for a while and have been undergoing treatments ever since from Infusions, steroids, and even Chemotherapy. It has been a very hard endevour but Its finally starting to look up! My platelet count has been at a normal range for a while now so I have gotten back into the job search. I got all of my certs taken care of except for my ambulance drivers license. But I have an appointment for that in a couple weeks. I have been trying really hard to go back through my book and brush up on all the things I learned. I'm just having some trouble getting through it. I don't have any of my skills papers any more or my study guides. I have been going through reading my book but I'm just not remembering things like I should be. I know if I had some different ways to go over it and study it would help so much!!!

So if you have some useful ways to go over things just to remember it a little better that would be so amazing!!! I'm just so nervous to go get a job when I can't remember everything I have learned. I don't want to be the annoying EMT people are going to have to work with that doesn't remember anything :blush:

If you have anything that you think will help I will appreciate it so much!!

Thanks guys!!!! :cool::wub:

Sorry to hear about your illness, but I am glad you are doing better.

I find that EMT Achieve by Pearson is a great resource to either study for the NREMT or to brush up on your skills, especially since they seem to administer the test in some states. EMT Achieve has quizzes (with explanations for questions you got wrong) on specific topics and 4,5 NREMT practice tests. If remember correctly it costs $35 or so. Well worth it.

As far as the permit goes, depending on where you live, you don't need one to drive the ambulance. For example in the DFW area you only need it to drive in the city of dallas, but not outside of it.