Heartcode ACLS

Puahala

Forum Probie
Has anyone had any experience with the refreshing of ACLS with the Heartcode version? I have heard good and bad things. For one, the convenience of it is spectacular, as for the course details I am not sure about. Anyone else's thoughts?

For those who have not heard of it, here is the website:

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=3018426

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I have had a couple of participants that want to complete their practical portion with me. Good points, is one that really knows ACLS can finish the written, the bad points is finding and paying an instructor to finish the course. The costs of the instructor is self dependent.

I personally charge at the least $75 -150 for testing the stations, to make it worth my time and then to submit for cards, etc.

R/r 911

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
I've used it before. For an ACLS refresher I really don't like it, especially with the changes that have come about; take an actual course. If you can find a decent one anyway.

What I do think it's good for is people that are still in paramedic school; it's a great teaching tool and a good way to make people think about what they're doing. Especially since you really do have to do EVERYTHING on it; no information will be given unless SPECIFICALLY asked for; get people to start remembering the little stuff.

OP
OP
P

Puahala

Forum Probie
Well the problem I have is I am a Mobile Paramedic, literally. I travel a lot for my specific job and finding time to actually do the course is difficult. I have missed two already and I am up in January. So, I just wanted to get a different view on it from someone who has done it. I have heard it is alot more challenging than the class, which is great! However; I am hoping that is isn't redundant for the providers who, for one have taken the course, for two practice it all the time.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
Well the problem I have is I am a Mobile Paramedic, literally. I travel a lot for my specific job and finding time to actually do the course is difficult. I have missed two already and I am up in January. So, I just wanted to get a different view on it from someone who has done it. I have heard it is alot more challenging than the class, which is great! However; I am hoping that is isn't redundant for the providers who, for one have taken the course, for two practice it all the time.
Depending on the class it may or may not be harder; all you're doing is working up several pt's with various problems. (there is a hands-on portion which includes I believe CPR and intubation) I don't know about harder, but like I said, it is good. Some of the cases are less common for some people, so it's a good review. If you really practice all the time maybe not so much. But it's kinda fun if nothing else.