He Was Wasn't HE

Gbro

Forum Lieutenant
We were dispatched to a rural lake home (15<5>>>>) years ago for a 10-72 dead body. We were to deliver to a funeral home.
(We didn't do many this way, but we did carry every DOA we tripped over for many years. Still do all morgue runs).
Anyway we deliver to the F-home and when we were just getting back to our base, The service in that town went into service to that funeral home!
I did a little bit of a bug eyed look at my partner, and we both said about the same time, "He was dead wasn't He"!
The LEO's in those days were the deputy coroners, and they just didn't make it to all deaths.
Then things changed, the local ALS service for our county were declared Deputy Coroners. We got to see some Real Performances. That didn't last, as there were just too many complaints. Just too much power. We are back to LEO's, but there supervisors do show every time now days.

PArescueEMT

Forum Bartender
I guess you learned a lesson from that one... but that does suck to have an OOPS of that caliber. at least things have changed

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Okay, I attempted to interpret the post. So, no one really checked for death and the body was transported to a funeral home without such? As well it was the LEO responsibility to do so, but they don't always respond? Then it went to an EMS/ALS so they could make the interpretation and then the responsibility was later returned back to LEO even though they don't always show up? If so, why in the heck would any local community want a non-medical trained person to determine death? That is SCARY! As well, why tie up any EMS transporting dead bodies, leave that to funeral homes.

Wow ! Did not know there were areas so behind times...as well as wanting to open themselves to litigation.

R/r 911

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
G

Gbro

Forum Lieutenant
Thats right I did leave out the "Rest of the story"
It turns out that there was a service going on upstairs, as in this back woods area of the not so modern world, the embalming is done in the cellar.
Someone collapsed during that service.

Those days (back when for that post)the service was owned and operated privately, There was a $ to make even with DOA's.

Even the ALS in our county transports to the morgue. We have called them to assist us in MCA. The biggest difference is, They (ALS) still use Lights and Sirens for those calls.