HAZMAT course in NY.?

dontis312

Forum Ride Along
Im looking to take a hazmat course in NY so I can get the points for the FDNY list. It is

24 hours of HazMat Operations Level Training,
consistent with federal OSHA regulations at 29
CFR 1910.120(q)(6)(ii)

Any idea where I can go for this?

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Why don't you ask guys on the fire departments near you or your agencies training officer

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader

Just a reminder, from our Rules:
Participants may not bump threads. Bumping can refer to posting useless information, making corrections or updates in a new post, posting one-liners or any other action to deliberately keep a thread hot or to bring it to the top of Recent or Today's Posts. Community Leaders will use their discretion, depending on the nature of the post, as to whether to take action or not

DeepFreeze

Forum Lieutenant
Why don't you ask guys on the fire departments near you or your agencies training officer

I'd say this is, what Bullets said, your best bet. Go make some local contacts in the NY area, they may be better to answer your questions and can direct you to the appropriate course.

EPFD112

Forum Probie
If you only need operations level, basically you just need to find any Firefighter 1 class being offered (mostly a volunteer dept. course.) as FF1 in NY now contains Hazmat Ops, and you could probably take just the hazmat part of the course as it's technically a separate class. Ask any volunteer firefighter and they can direct you to the nearest training center that offers FF1. It really shouldn't be hard to find.

zmedic

Forum Captain
The issue is that you usually have to be affliliated with a FD to sign up through the fire academy. Though if you are interested in HAZMAT/rescue work it would be worth trying to get on a volunteer company and going through the FF1 class. It's not that long a class if you live near where it is taught.