Has anyone actually seen..

Nycxice13

Forum Lieutenant
An O2 cylinder (small portable) go boom? I mean, in reality, not on mythbusters.

emtwannabe

Forum Lieutenant
Yes. When I was working in construction, we had a person of questionable intelligence try to change out an O2 cylinder on an oxygen-acetylene cutter.

The person did not do as we were instructed, which was to leave the cap to the cylinder on until the cylinder was chained to the cart. Needless to say, O2 tank slips and falls, snapping the valve body off like a twig.

The cylinder briefly became airborne, and did in fact go right through a cinder block wall, much like the mythbusters episode.

The noise was positively deafening.

The person of questionable intelligence was promptly discharged. It was a very scary sight seeing that cylinder going airborne.

Jeff

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I seen one explode as well while in a welding shop. Definitely not a myth, as well I am sure there are some safety film out there with this.

R/r 911

OP
OP
N

Nycxice13

Forum Lieutenant
Yes. When I was working in construction, we had a person of questionable intelligence try to change out an O2 cylinder on an oxygen-acetylene cutter.

The person did not do as we were instructed, which was to leave the cap to the cylinder on until the cylinder was chained to the cart. Needless to say, O2 tank slips and falls, snapping the valve body off like a twig.

The cylinder briefly became airborne, and did in fact go right through a cinder block wall, much like the mythbusters episode.

The noise was positively deafening.

The person of questionable intelligence was promptly discharged. It was a very scary sight seeing that cylinder going airborne.

Jeff

Moral of the story, dont let a person of "questionable" intelligence handle a O2 cylinder.

Im not asking for any particular reason, just wanted to see.

emtwannabe

Forum Lieutenant
Hey Rid,

You should see the films about exploding water heaters....They can positively level a house!

Jeff

YYCmedic

Forum Crew Member
No... But Mythbusters is a pretty rad show... I knwo that was completely off topic but I had to get it in...

jeepmedic

Forum Captain
Big bullet or small rocket. Don't matter what you call it it still will Kill you.