Handling the sight of blood

Beanie

Forum Probie
Is there anybody out there who used to feel really queasy and lightheaded and all that when they saw blood, but then got over it?
I've never seen anything worse than somebody's hand covered in blood, and I was fine with that, but sometimes when I see even just a minor cut, my stomach lurches, but then I'm okay after that initial reaction. Same thing with burns.
That would be one of the biggest reasons for me to stay out of EMS - the possibility of me not being able to handle the sight of a lot of blood or a bad burn or something like that. That's kinda run-of-the-mill in EMS, right? Seeing that kind of stuff?
I just don't know yet, if I can or can't. :(
Any advice?

redundantbassist

Nefarious Dude
I've never really had that issue, however I occasionally get slightly uneasy around certain things (ie eye, genitalia injuries) I guess the best way to get over it would be through exposure, you will become accustomed to it after a while.

NiteTimeNick

Forum Probie
Smells are my Achilles heel. Nothing like the rotting flesh of a decubitus ulcer. I've never had a problem with visuals but +1 on exposure. I used to browse bestgore.com to desensitize myself to some of the nastiness one can come across in EMS. Be warned though, its not called bestgore for nothing. There is some extremely graphic content on this website, view at your own risk. Good luck to ya.

Last edited:

TheBuffOP

Forum Crew Member
I think most of us who went into EMS are not afraid of blood. EMS attracts trauma junkies, so I've been told.

Twitch559

Forum Crew Member
No one is immune to everything. Some are hindered by the sound of suction, some have a problem with smells or bodily fluids. Some also have problems with emisis. My personal one is I have a hard time dealing with a De-gloving.
Like nick said, bestgore is a great place to get familiar with messed up images. We are human and we have weaknesses

vcuemt

Ambulance Driver
I went on bestgore and the first thing i noticed was some folks having a very earnest conversation in the comment section about Zionists and the NWO. I don't know if that's common over there but i think I'll stick to liveleak.com just the same!

Twitch559

Forum Crew Member
Na, go back and do some searching of the gangs and cartels in Mexico, the reading sucks but good pics and vids

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess
I just logged into bestgore. Haven't gotten the courage to watch anything really bad yet. lol

TheBuffOP

Forum Crew Member
97b0a2a45fa8be8db46f372b10c6badc2e6bdbbd7b0a5ce729e8eb9636693082.jpg

Gore became the topic.

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
I have no problem with gory situations. I do have some fundamental problem seeking out pictures and videos of horrific acts and justifying it as "desensitization training".

This POV came after I saw some video of a group that decapitated a member of an opposing party during some international conflict. After watching it, I felt horrible and like I had somehow supported this group who ended this other mans life. In no way did it help me be better at my job.

The fact is that for most EMS workers, it is not the gore that gets you. It will be some combination of details about a given call that strikes a chord deep into you. You will not really be able to prepare for it other than having a plan to deal with it when it comes.

If you get a job and go to your first trauma and have a real problem with blood, this career likely will not work out for you.

My $.02

NiteTimeNick

Forum Probie
I have no problem with gory situations. I do have some fundamental problem seeking out pictures and videos of horrific acts and justifying it as "desensitization training".

You make a good point, there is a lot of stuff on that website that will
This POV came after I saw some video of a group that decapitated a member of an opposing party during some international conflict. After watching it, I felt horrible and like I had somehow supported this group who ended this other mans life. In no way did it help me be better at my job.

The fact is that for most EMS workers, it is not the gore that gets you. It will be some combination of details about a given call that strikes a chord deep into you. You will not really be able to prepare for it other than having a plan to deal with it when it comes.

If you get a job and go to your first trauma and have a real problem with blood, this career likely will not work out for you.

My $.02

You make a good point. I hesitated in recommending the site as it is about 90% crap that will never be seen by most EMS professionals. I'd recommend sticking to the " medical" category, there are some interesting, perhaps even informative, videos and pictures found there and these are the images beanie will be dealing with. To get back on track, heed the above recommendation and focus on how it makes you feel and work on ways to deal with it. I'll reiterate what others have said; seeing and handling bloody situations is a big part of being an EMT. Best of luck.

OP
OP
Beanie

Beanie

Forum Probie
I'm trusting God to help me handle disturbing things, otherwise I guess that's how He'll show me I shouldn't be an EMT.
Thanks for everybody's input. :)

OP
OP
Beanie

Beanie

Forum Probie

fastmedic1966

Forum Ride Along
Something I learned as a paramedic for 20 years
If it's to disgusting to look at cover it up
You can always tell yourself that something doesn't look to bad
There's no telling yourself something doesn't smell bad

OP
OP
Beanie

Beanie

Forum Probie
Something I learned as a paramedic for 20 years
If it's to disgusting to look at cover it up
You can always tell yourself that something doesn't look to bad
There's no telling yourself something doesn't smell bad

Good advice! Thanks!

Twitch559

Forum Crew Member
Sorry for bringing this thread up again. If you haven't already, download figure-1 from the android app store. Filled with medical pics and you will see many things on there that you would see in the feild

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Also, seeing your own blood and getting queasy is not necessarily a predictor of how you will deal with other's injuries.

Same with needles. I hate getting an IV (or even a shot really) but have no issue with giving them to others.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Honestly, either it will get to you or it wont, and you wont know till you try.

Blood doesn't bother me. Vomit doesn't bother me. Feces, urine, whatever, I've had it all on my thanks to some drunk patient at one time or another. What gets to me is my own blood, and C-sections. If I never have to see another C-section in my life I'll be a happy man.

As for it being the "run of the mill"? Hardly. Sure, you'll see blood (more often than not from an IV than trauma). But you'll more likely see gangrenous wounds, feces, vomit, stuff of that nature. The ''gross'' trauma and burns are so very rare as to not even matter much, and you'll be too busy doing your job to notice.