Hamas leader killed with Succinylcholine

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/meast/02/28/uae.murder.probe/index.html

Earlier Sunday, police said toxicology results showed that al-Mabhouh was injected with succinylcholine, a drug used to relax muscles during surgery or as an anesthetic, before he was suffocated. Signs indicated that al-Mabhouh resisted as he was being suffocated, police said.

This isn't something I know much about, but I thought that succs was undetectable, the only thing they could detect was a high potassium level.

nemedic

Forum Captain
good riddance. methinks that whoever killed him read tom clancy's teeth of the tiger. according to the book and google, the post mortem workup shows what appears to me a massive MI. also, it breaks down to the same enzymes that are secreted during an MI. will post the links if i can find them

reaper

Working Bum
Thats one tough man, if he resisted after being given the Succs!

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I guess they killed him with a poor RSI attempt. wonder if the MD just had them call it.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Thats one tough man, if he resisted after being given the Succs!

That's what I was wondering.. fighting the suffocation after being paralyzed.

Man, we are screwed if the rest of the terrorist are like that.

OP
OP
Aidey

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
That's what I was wondering.. fighting the suffocation after being paralyzed.

I assumed that either 1. Someone is overdramatizing/misrepresenting what happened or 2. The killers didn't use enough or most likely 3. Both 1 and 2.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Wonder why they didn't use epi? Too much epi will kill someone, but then you use epi to try to get the heart beating again.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Wonder why they didn't use epi? Too much epi will kill someone, but then you use epi to try to get the heart beating again.

assuming Dubai has an EMS system similiar to our. Does it?

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief

How much epi is enough?

Seeing as how this operation took 26 operatives that we know about, do you want to try a drug that may or may not do the job, plus it will not incapacitate the man...unlike succs which will lay him out once it kicks in in relatively small amount.

He probably struggled after it was injected because there is that 20-60 seconds before full effects kick in...

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I still doubt it took Mossad THOSE 26+ people to do the mission, they're probably just grasping at straws as to who was involved. If anything, Mossad wanted them to think it was those 26+ to throw them off.

Mossad isn't known to be clumsy in their missions, revealing so much potential intel. Look at Operation Wrath of God.

They want people to know it was Mossad involved, but not the members as that would screw up possible future missions.

Sorry but Dubai isn't known as an counter-intel powerhouse :p

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
And you have been through Dubai how many times?

26 people all with fake passports, all with ties to Israel. Yous eriously think Mossad was not involved and didn't use these people?

This wasn't some small terrorist player, this was the #2 man, so yeh I could see using 26 people, not only for past "crimes" committed against Israel, but also for the morale blow to the Palestinians and Hamas...well worth the 26 ground people in their eyes....

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I don't need to go to Dubai to know that they can't be compared to MI5, NSA or other prominent internal security agencies.

I never said Mossad wasn't involved... I believe they were. But for Mossad to be so messy with their operatives is not like an intelligence agency. It's one thing to let your enemies know you did something... it's another to let them know which operatives and have pictures of them.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Good monring what did I miss? Oh yeah...death Succs.

1. If you die from succ, you die by asphyxiation, which is ...smothering. You're conscious at least at first, but the forensic signs of mechanical suffocation (conjunctival pettichiae, bruises, pillow grade goose down in the trachea) should be absent due to paralyzation.
2. Twenty six people would not be too many what with transport, security, cutouts and backups. A simple "rub-out" on a street can be nearly a dozen.
3. I lean towards inter and intra factional rivalry. They have notoriously poor retirement plans.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't need to go to Dubai to know that they can't be compared to MI5, NSA or other prominent internal security agencies.

I never said Mossad wasn't involved... I believe they were. But for Mossad to be so messy with their operatives is not like an intelligence agency. It's one thing to let your enemies know you did something... it's another to let them know which operatives and have pictures of them.

Maybe I am just dense...not trying to argue, just reason out so it makes sense...but I do not get the whole fixation on their pictures. They had to have passports to enter the country, so of course they have photos.

Any hotel you stay at, photocopies your passport.

I do not see messiness...there are low level and high level operatives. Exposing 26 to get a very important job done makes it seem well coordinated as opposed to messy.

Sigh, pathetic when I have nothing better to do at the moment than argue total hypotheticals of things I know nothing about.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Sigh, pathetic when I have nothing better to do at the moment than argue total hypotheticals of things I know nothing about.

Ditto :p

Granted I've never worked for the NSA, CIA, Mossad, Shin Bet, MI5, MI6,, KGB or others, but I'd like to think they were a bit more secretive with their operatives :ph34r:

FFMedic75

Forum Crew Member
keep in mind if they did use succs it was not given cleanly IV. It was at best given IM by someone who was fighting. The absorption times and rates would be very different than what we are used to seeing.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I'd put a coral snake in his hat.

Then they'd think Batista Cuban expatriates did it.
No matter what did it, they would blame Shin Bet/Mossad.