Hall ambulance insiders how do you get hired fire you have fire background?

Daddyrunner

Forum Probie
whats going on people just made this account today! So when looking up EMT jobs in kern county, as I have just moved here. my girlfriend is currently finishing up her RT here and we expect to live here in tehachapi a long time with our son on the way. With this being said I applied to hall first interview went great, HR said I was a great candidate to work for them. Then I get to the second interview and how good my first interview went is how bad the second one went. My current job is working for a private FD working standby firefighter gigs and before this I worked for McCormick, and before that a lifeguard. So as soon as my 2nd interview started right off the bat I was told I don't want to work for them and that I'm a firefighter etc my question is how does anyone get hired with fire background? Like I said I have a kid on the way and want to start a career soon for my son coming in December. Should I forget it and just try for AMR? Open to suggestions thanks for the insights in advance

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Well, it's all in perception. I'm not a Kern Cultist, but I remember hearing from people I know well that Hall really prides itself in not being a Fire gateway. Re-interviewing with the approach of "I don't like Fire, I want to be a paramedic" will get you a lot farther than anything fire-related.

Also, Liberty-Ridgecrest is a thing.

OP
OP
Daddyrunner

Daddyrunner

Forum Probie
Well, it's all in perception. I'm not a Kern Cultist, but I remember hearing from people I know well that Hall really prides itself in not being a Fire gateway. Re-interviewing with the approach of "I don't like Fire, I want to be a paramedic" will get you a lot farther than anything fire-related.

Also, Liberty-Ridgecrest is a thing.
I tried this approach but they weren't having it so I told him how can I prove this all he said was to give him a call back in a couple months so we will see just wonder what else I can do but is liberty ridgecrest like the liberty down south Downey/Torrance? That's where I'm originally from

RocketMedic

No relation at all.

terrible one

Always wandering
Way back about 10 years ago I applied to them and they didn't even interview me because I had some fire background stuff. If you mention anything about a FD to hall you're not going to get very far.

OP
OP
Daddyrunner

Daddyrunner

Forum Probie
Way back about 10 years ago I applied to them and they didn't even interview me because I had some fire background stuff. If you mention anything about a FD to hall you're not going to get very far.
Yeah Iv noticed lol it's cause that was my job for 4 years like I can't really hide it kinda sucks haha what ever I guess I might just keep applying to FDs unless I find a good ambulance company I can stay at

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
That doesnt seem fair to people like me. EMS is what I want to do. Fire is just a hobby. Not that I would ever submit myself to California EMS.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Daddyrunner

Daddyrunner

Forum Probie
That doesnt seem fair to people like me. EMS is what I want to do. Fire is just a hobby. Not that I would ever submit myself to California EMS.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
I feel the same way I have never heard of this before now but in la it seems all the company's are impressed or like the experience gained with working with FDs but there you are crucified.. very unfortunate sometimes you gotta try things out to see what you want to really do

CentralCalEMT

Forum Captain
Apply in Tulare County. Imperial is currently hiring and I believe American and Lifestar might be as well. They all primarily work 24 hour shifts so the commute should be bearable. None of the companies up in Tulare County hold fire against you. Hall is an excellent place for an EMS career. However, if they aren't going to hire you, there are other options.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I have been at Hall for almost a decade and have worked with dozens of would-be firefighters, some of whom are now KCFD and BFD firefighters; they all had the same interview as you. There's an EMT here now who's a reserve with one of our fire departments.

It's all about your approach. Creating a thread that assumes you had issues based solely on this does nothing to increase your chances of being hired. Our VP was a firefighter at some point in his life. I will say it for the umpteenth time- it is all about your sell.

OP
OP
Daddyrunner

Daddyrunner

Forum Probie
I have been at Hall for almost a decade and have worked with dozens of would-be firefighters, some of whom are now KCFD and BFD firefighters; they all had the same interview as you. There's an EMT here now who's a reserve with one of our fire departments.

It's all about your approach. Creating a thread that assumes you had issues based solely on this does nothing to increase your chances of being hired. Our VP was a firefighter at some point in his life. I will say it for the umpteenth time- it is all about your sell.
Understood was looking for pointers was all I'm not talk trashing about the company because if I thought that way I would have applied nor would I still keep trying. So if it came off in that reguard then I'm sorry for the confusson it may have caused. And it's not assuming I had issues? I did have issues this is why I'm asking for the guys input whom had fire experience and got through it

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Understood was looking for pointers was all I'm not talk trashing about the company because if I thought that way I would have applied nor would I still keep trying. So if it came off in that reguard then I'm sorry for the confusson it may have caused. And it's not assuming I had issues? I did have issues this is why I'm asking for the guys input whom had fire experience and got through it
You didn't offend me; it's no skin off of my nose. It's a common misnomer that they always turn away "fire candidates". A lot has changed over the years. If you're a paramedic right now I don't think they care too much about your lifelong goals, but from your profile page you're not.

You may have to sell a little harder. And even then, usually if you're FOS they'll most likely sniff you out very quickly. So if you think that they won't hire you because you're an EMT who wants to go fire--even if they told you this directly (no clue, wasn't in the room)-- go in and do whatever it takes to land the job like it matters; just like any job interview.

It isn't some LA County company where they have a subsection on their website that pays tribute to success stories who have since moved on to bigger and better things. It's its own little world up here. Two hours away from LA, but even farther removed from the way things are done with regard to prehospital medicine in California.

Re Liberty: absolutely no affiliation with the Liberty where I'm from in LA County. There is also Delano Ambulance (and a thread or two on them). Then, as @CentralCalEMT makes mention, Tulare County and its system.

OP
OP
Daddyrunner

Daddyrunner

Forum Probie
You didn't offend me; it's no skin off of my nose. It's a common misnomer that they always turn away "fire candidates". A lot has changed over the years. If you're a paramedic right now I don't think they care too much about your lifelong goals, but from your profile page you're not.

You may have to sell a little harder. And even then, usually if you're FOS they'll most likely sniff you out very quickly. So if you think that they won't hire you because you're an EMT who wants to go fire--even if they told you this directly (no clue, wasn't in the room)-- go in and do whatever it takes to land the job like it matters; just like any job interview.

It isn't some LA County company where they have a subsection on their website that pays tribute to success stories who have since moved on to bigger and better things. It's its own little world up here. Two hours away from LA, but even farther removed from the way things are done with regard to prehospital medicine in California.

Re Liberty: absolutely no affiliation with the Liberty where I'm from in LA County. There is also Delano Ambulance (and a thread or two on them). Then, as @CentralCalEMT makes mention, Tulare County and its system.
Thank you for the help I really appreciate it and I will be looking into those companies. Yeah I figured I'm just going to pay my own way anyway already saved the money I'm mainly just wanted to go to a company that would work with me while I go through it not looking for a free ride so maybe after I get the medic I'll give it another swing

RocketMedic

A small part of me misses CA, but I really don't know how well I'd fit into CA EMS.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Really? Forgive my ignorance but what is different from CA EMS and where you are now?
He's in Texas- the "Mecca of EMS"**:rolleyes:

**per most every Texan on here.

They're for sure one of thee more pro-prehospital provider state. California, in general, is bogged with politics that leaves it severely lacking in many areas (to include EMS) regardless of what part of the state it, or you, are in.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
He's in Texas- the "Mecca of EMS"**:rolleyes:

**per most every Texan on here.

They're for sure one of thee more pro-prehospital provider state. California, in general, is bogged with politics that leaves it severely lacking in many areas (to include EMS) regardless of what part of the state it, or you, are in.
We are one of the better states for EMS. Plenty of city and county third services, delegated practices from medical director means no state max for scope, decent pay, no state income tax, and great food.