Had a Pt. in Labor today

BirdtheEMTB

Forum Crew Member
B) Pretty cool call..dispatched to a 20 y.o. F 40 weeks pregnant in labor at a local pizza shop. My medic is a Female so I was happy about that! Pt. vitals were fine I put the 4 lead on her, medic ran a 18gauge and I prepped the GC for my medic to check her glucose, check out fine. Pt. stated she was supposed to have a C-section this coming Wed, Pt.'s second child. Her water broke on the way:ph34r: We got her up to the labor section of the Hospital and we transferred care.....that was close LOL! But it was a great call...can you tell I am happy she did not give birth in the ambo...LOL

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
B) Pretty cool call..dispatched to a 20 y.o. F 40 weeks pregnant in labor at a local pizza shop. My medic is a Female so I was happy about that! Pt. vitals were fine I put the 4 lead on her, medic ran a 18gauge and I prepped the GC for my medic to check her glucose, check out fine. Pt. stated she was supposed to have a C-section this coming Wed, Pt.'s second child. Her water broke on the way:ph34r: We got her up to the labor section of the Hospital and we transferred care.....that was close LOL! But it was a great call...can you tell I am happy she did not give birth in the ambo...LOL

First congrats on your exposure of an O.B. call.. Just for discussion:

Why where you happy your partner was female?.. Where you happy about it at shift change? Point being.. Gender has NO affect on assisting delivering a baby. Let's stop this myth as well as sexual assault that female medics are the best suited for such calls. The same if a male had an eviscerated testicle.. would a male EMT really be better treating it? Remember, making the patient comfortable cannot always be performed per the one treating at the time.

Second, why an ECG? Are you expecting an AMI during delivery? Really, fetal monitoring cannot be done through an ECG. Did you assess EtCo2 as well? See my point?

Again, congrats on the experience. I just wanted for us to think outside the box. I do believe everyone should have to assist in at least three deliveries in their career to appreciate motherhood... and yes, I am glad I was born a male for those reasons.

R/r 911

CFRBryan347768

Forum Captain

Why where you happy your partner was female?.. Where you happy about it at shift change? Point being.. Gender has NO affect on assisting delivering a baby. Let's stop this myth as well as sexual assault that female medics are the best suited for such calls. The same if a male had an eviscerated testicle.. would a male EMT really be better treating it? Remember, making the patient comfortable cannot always be performed per the one treating at the time.

Second, why an ECG? Are you expecting an AMI during delivery? Really, fetal monitoring cannot be done through an ECG. Did you assess EtCo2 as well? See my point?

Again, congrats on the experience. I just wanted for us to think outside the box. I do believe everyone should have to assist in at least three deliveries in their career to appreciate motherhood... and yes, I am glad I was born a male for those reasons.

R/r 911

Well with that being said I really can not wait to get into a paramedic class for a more indepth education; while I got the point I have no idea what any of that means LOL!

OP
OP
B

BirdtheEMTB

Forum Crew Member

R/r 911

Thank you Sir, I am very green as a Basic I have only been on about 30 runs in my short career as a EMT. I was just a bit more at ease to have a F medic, as well I believe that the Pt. was a more at ease also. I am very willing to assist in a birth and I think it would be wonderful, I was just very nervous on this call. The Pt. stated that her prev pregnancy had some complications and that the baby presented with the cord around her neck. Any critical advice is needed and welcome for my continued educaton.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I am assured you did great! .. O.B. are exciting for most EMT's. Just a note for others as well to think about for discussion. As you mature in the career, you will see understand my questions and points.

R/r 911

OP
OP
B

BirdtheEMTB

Forum Crew Member
Thanks again Ryder, I read many of your posts and I learn something from every one of them! You are a true asset to this forum and take what you say very seriously!

emt19723

Forum Lieutenant
the delivery that i had...at the time i was thinking....oh s***!! this is for real! stress level was kicked up a notch or two when i also found out the baby was breech.....and it was coming too! no chance to even get the pt on the litter and get started to the hospital. just had to ask my medics to get here a little sooner. lol but everything turned out all right....mom was fine, the baby was fine. my female partner was there to coach me as well as the pt. lol so, yes, im glad she was there....seeing as how she had kids herself and knew about the Lamaas(or however its spelled. heheheh) but yeah...great sense of accomplishment after all was said and done! good job on your call!!