Green Medic vs. Veteran Basic

Sasha

Forum Chief
This is how my company explained it, in less words.

There is the Basic, and then there is the Paramedic. The Paramedic is the boss. He or she is ALWAYS the boss. It doesn't matter if it's a Paramedic of 2 days or two decades. He's the boss. And it doesn't matter if the Basic is 30 years older than the medic, or has 30 years more experience than the medic. The Paramedic is ALWAYS the boss.

He's upset about being outranked? Go back to school.

Respect rank. That's the way things work.

Sorry. That mindset creates butt head medics with a god complex and power trip.

My medic is not my boss, my medic is my partner, my medic has the final say in patient care, but is not my boss by any means.

MedicMeJJB

Forum Crew Member
I think it's a good pair up too.. they just have to be willing to learn from each other. The medic is the top authority there though.

Hastings

Noobie
Sorry. That mindset creates butt head medics with a god complex and power trip.

My medic is not my boss, my medic is my partner, my medic has the final say in patient care, but is not my boss by any means.

Not your boss. THE boss.

Which means exactly what you just said. Medic has final say on everything. That simple.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Not your boss. THE boss.

Which means exactly what you just said. Medic has final say on everything. That simple.

Final say in patient care. Not everything. I've run into medics who feel they are to control every aspect of the shift. How fast the emt is going, where the emt is going to park, radio, where they stop for lunch, and if the emt protests it's "I'm your boss".

Leave out the word boss, partner, more like it.

el Murpharino

Forum Captain
An EMT-B of almost a decade, was working with his partner who was a medic of about as long but his partner was moving on to another company. The company hired a new medic who was about 1 month out of medic school. After the company training and ride alongs, he was assigned as the partner of our veteran basic.

The basic was not a happy camper since he had a lot more field experience but was being told what to do by a 20 year old who was fresh out of school.

If you were the EMS supervisor, would you have assigned a green medic to a veteran basic. The only other alternative i see is sticking him with a rookie basic in which case you have two rookies together which is also not a good thing!

How long was the company ride along/training program? I know of some places where they'll hire green medics and place them on the streets within days. I also know of places that make sure their medics are on top of their game before they hit the streets. If the basic had a patient care issue, hopefully he/she was professional enough to bring the issue up after the call where the medic can explain his/her patient care. If the basic is unhappy because he/she is with someone new, oh well - those things happen. We aren't always afforded the luxury of having the ideal partner. To answer your question - I don't see anything wrong with putting a new medic with a seasoned basic. It helps the new medic learn the in's and out's of the system, and could help with other areas too: geography, locations, frequent flyers, etc. If there was a real personnel issue, however, I'd have to reevaluate the decision. But just because someone is not a happy camper? I don't think so.

Lastly...After 10 years as a basic, I'm sure he/she has worked with enough medics to understand the positions and roles of each. Some medics like the extra help, some don't. Adapt and overcome...

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
This situation is only going to create animosity if one or more of the parties involved are immature and egotistical.

I recently ran a call with a new EMT-P that I've known since she was 12. Not only do I have more field experience than she does, but I was responsible for much of her early EMS education. On that call, she was ALS and was in full charge of the pt. Why? Because when push comes to shove, as the highest medical authority on scene, if things go fugly, its her butt on the line. That accountability is what makes her the 'boss'.

As to the experienced EMT.. grow up! What are you going to do when the ER doc is a peach-cheeked boy fresh out of med school? Are you going to refuse to be 'bossed' by him as well? What about the ER nurse who just got her license?

Yes its lovely to be respected by your co-workers. And most people in this business respect each others' skills. But, if your sense of self worth has to come from a new medic paying tribute to you so you don't feel inferior, well, you have other issues to deal with. If you don't respect yourself, and value what you do, no amount of external praise or validation will make up for that. And if you do, it doesn't matter if you don't get praise or respect from others because you value yourself.

EMT-P633

Forum Crew Member
Speaking as a "rookie medic"

I work with a "Vet basic". and neither of us could be happier. My partner has been in EMS for over 25 years. I have been a "medic" since August of 08. Granted she can not do the skills I am allowed to do. She can most definetly suggest her opinion in what is going on. Her opinion in my opinion is highly valued. especially by me.

We dont have the problem of "this is my truck and you (her) will do what I say". I value her experience I respect her not only as a partner / person but her knowledge. Granted her title is only at EMT-IV. She is one who knows what is going on. And she will offer suggestions if she thinks im clueless or if i give her that scooby -doo "rut ro shaggy" look.

Personally I feel that ideally new medics should be pared with experienced medics for atleast a year before being hrown to the wolves so to speak. However. In the area of the country I work (middle TN) there are only 2 services who can / do that. Both of these services are for larger, more populated areas and pay conciderably more then the rual services. So since it is not feasable or possible to staff new medics with experienced medics, the next best option is to staff "rookie medics" with "vet basics".

Putting two rookies together medic / basic is not a good idea. As the medic on the unit. It is my responsibility, and that is alot, I dont need to be having to watch my partner to make sure they are doing thier skills correctly. I have enough to worry about before adding wether or not the basic is using 10 drop or 60 drop tubing on a trauma pt.

firecoins

IFT Puppet

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Are you saying Medics are Bruce Springstein?

MOst of the medics I know couldn't carry a tune if you gave it to them in a bucket.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
MOst of the medics I know couldn't carry a tune if you gave it to them in a bucket.

Probably because buckets aren't in the scope of practise yet.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Add velcro to the bucket.

The fact that services can't put a new paramedic out with an experienced paramedic is a harbinger of things getting too expnsive. Or are the EMS companies taking too grerat a profit bite?
Hey, rural and vollie folks, how does this work where you are?

Hastings

Noobie
The fact that services can't put a new paramedic out with an experienced paramedic is a harbinger of things getting too expnsive. Or are the EMS companies taking too grerat a profit bite?
Hey, rural and vollie folks, how does this work where you are?

My company has three steps in the training process.

Level 1 - Partnered with experienced Paramedic.
Level 2 - Partnered with experienced Basic.
Level 3 - Ready for anything.

NolaRabbit

Forum Crew Member
If a new medic can't be partnered with another medic, then the ideal situation is for their partner to be an experienced EMT-B or -I. Putting two rookies together would obviously be the wrong management decision and incredibly stressful to all parties involved.

Someone needs to tell the veteran Basic that it's a compliment to put a new medic with them. It usually means they know what the heck they are doing.