Graduate Programs

EMS 911

Forum Probie
I am in the process of applying to various graduate schools: Creighton, UMBC (either epidemiology or EMS education), and possible Western Carolina University. For anyone that has been to any of these programs or has a knowledge of these programs, I would like your opinion. Which one is the most reputable? I am not from any of these states, but there are very minimal options for graduate school in-state for me.

I have heard good things about UMBC and the new Creighton M.S. program sounds interesting. However, I have never heard of Western Carolina University until recently, so not sure how it is ranked (but the curriculum actually looks beneficial).

Any opinions are welcome!

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
I am in the process of applying to various graduate schools: Creighton, UMBC (either epidemiology or EMS education), and possible Western Carolina University. For anyone that has been to any of these programs or has a knowledge of these programs, I would like your opinion. Which one is the most reputable? I am not from any of these states, but there are very minimal options for graduate school in-state for me.

I have heard good things about UMBC and the new Creighton M.S. program sounds interesting. However, I have never heard of Western Carolina University until recently, so not sure how it is ranked (but the curriculum actually looks beneficial).

Any opinions are welcome!

Neither Creighton, UMBC, nor WCU were ranked on US News for public health programs. However, Creighton has fairly well ranked programs (per US News) for its other health-related subject areas (PT, OT, Nursing, etc.),
and UMBC has several ranked programs that compare to their EMS masters program. BTW, if you're trying to do the programs entirely online, it appears that the epidemiology track requires some on-campus coursework per their website.

OP
OP
E

EMS 911

Forum Probie
Neither Creighton, UMBC, nor WCU were ranked on US News for public health programs. However, Creighton has fairly well ranked programs (per US News) for its other health-related subject areas (PT, OT, Nursing, etc.),
and UMBC has several ranked programs that compare to their EMS masters program. BTW, if you're trying to do the programs entirely online, it appears that the epidemiology track requires some on-campus coursework per their website.

I know that Creighton has been ranked #1 in the Midwest region for the past decade or so in U.S. News and has also been ranked very high in America's Best Colleges. I am not from that area at all so don't know much about the university as far as reputation, academic standards, etc. My only hesitancy with that school is with the M.S. program being so new. I have heard quite a bit about UMBC in favorable terms, but again, not sure about its reputation. (I thought epidemiology sounded extremely interesting, but I was leaning more towards the EMS Education major.) As for WCU - I have never heard of it at all and I am on that side of the country.:unsure: