Graduate from paramedic school in a week. What's the next step?

mfd229

Forum Probie
Hey everyone! So I graduate next week from Paramedic school. I would like to continue my education and get a bachelors degree, but I'm not sure what field to go into. Do any programs accept my paramedic degree towards a bachelors degree or will I basically be doing 4 more years of school? What did you do after your associates? Thanks in advance for your answers!

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
Really depends on what your career goals are, so we would need to know a bit more about that before giving anything other then general advice. I believe in not pigeonholing yourself with a bachelors degree in EMS..... Down the road if you want a career change, or get injured, it could prove difficult to make a career move with such a focused degree. Instead go for a business management degree, healthcare management, or even something like marketing. That will make you a bit more marketable both inside and outside of the EMS field.

If a career in the fire service is for you I would suggest a management track based degree.

If you want to work in a hospital or be a nurse I would suggest nursing school then CRNA school, or go the Paramedic to P.A. route.

I eventually want to progress on and get a MBA myself.

MedicMan

Forum Probie
Great advice Canman, I did exactly what you have recommended. All else fails, I can manage a McDonalds for what I make as a Captain for our County Fire Rescue. The same advise was given to me by the State Ems Director of Florida, and I frankly followed it. Finishing my MA in public administration, although admittedly I can't imagine how much it might help in marketing cheeseburgers... Lol!