Got Small Gloves?

EmsPrincess*

Forum Crew Member
Just a worry I'm kinda having: I know it's a little premature but I require small gloves, in order to ensure a proper fit, so I'm just wondering if my future employer is required to supply those or if maybe I should just "C M A" and always carry my own, just in case. Any thoughts?

trevor1189

Forum Captain
Just a worry I'm kinda having: I know it's a little premature but I require small gloves, in order to ensure a proper fit, so I'm just wondering if my future employer is required to supply those or if maybe I should just "C M A" and always carry my own, just in case. Any thoughts?

Both stations I'm at have S,M,L,XL. If your job doesn't have them they should start stocking them. You shouldn't have to provide your own proper fitting ppe.

OP
OP
EmsPrincess*

EmsPrincess*

Forum Crew Member
Thanks! I just wanted to know what I was talking about before I go asking them to supply my gloves.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Every place that I've worked supplied S, M, L, XL gloves. At my first company the only gloves we carried were the ones needed by the crew members while at my current company we carry two boxes of each size (one box up front, one box in back).

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
All of the reputable services I've worked for provided gloves that fit. I remember occasionally "acquiring" a box of gloves that were better than we were issued from an ED... and I think I worked for one really shady company that thought the ER was supposed to give us our supplies.(I worked there for less than a month).

Anyway - YES - PPE should be provided by your employer. If they don't provide adequate PPE, thats a really good sign they aren't worried about your safety. Do they ALSO save money by not replacing the brake pads when they are worn?

Jon

OP
OP
EmsPrincess*

EmsPrincess*

Forum Crew Member
For the past five years I have been doing private duty CNA work. Occasionally, the agency I work for will send me to a rehab facility to do work. This was the case on this past Saturday. I always check the glove sizes immediately because I don't want to get caught without proper ppe. So upon arriving there were only large size gloves in the patient's room. I requested small gloves at the nurses' station and was given the reply of, "You mean medium?" Ummm no, I mean small. Anyway, they didn't have small so I went to get my own supply which I always carry in my car, just in case.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
I also wear small gloves, bordering on extra small gloves. Every place I've ever been employed or volunteered carried S, M, L and XL. For me having small (or extra smalls if i'm lucky) is important because gloves that are too large get caught, or bunch up when I'm starting IVs or doing other invasive procedures.

When I worked as a personal care assistant they only supplied one size of gloves, medium or large, I can't remember. In that setting, it wasn't a big deal since I wasn't doing anything that required my gloves being an exact right fit. For example, when changing sheets on a bed, or handling dirty laundry. Even now if I'm wiping down the cot after a call I'll just grab whatever size is closest.

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Yes, I wear small, yes, my employer provides them.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
One of the first things we learn in EMS is PPE. If you don't have it then don't touch the patient! If an employer won't supply them then they are not providing you with the gear neccessary to do your job. Every agency I know provides EMT's/Medics with proper fitting gloves, gowns, masks, and eye shields. If they don't and you feel that you need them you ask for them. I don't see why any resposible EMS agency wouldn't.