Got hired but... How do I proceed with this?

CDecilio

Forum Ride Along
So I got hired by one of the bigger private ambulance companies a few weeks ago - a newly graduated and licensed EMT-B. They had me do all the pre-hire paperwork, get a physical and even got me fitted and sent home with my uniform. I was all ready and very psyched to start working again (I've been an out of work graphic designer for almost 2 years with 2 little girls and was very anxious to be "useful" again)!

I was supposed to start the first full week of March.

Well, after 3 weeks of waiting for the big day, I get a call that Friday from HR letting me know that they decided to cancel the orientation for all newly hired EMT-Bs due to streamlining and to call back in month or so. She said that there was no waiting list so we'd all have to re-apply if we wanted a position. I said, "but I already have my uniform and everything!" After some going back and forth, the HR person told me to call her back in 2 weeks. I was appreciative and said I would.

The following week (the week I was supposed to start orientation), I received a letter from HR apoligizing for the inconvenience, a short reason why this was going on, and that I'd have to reapply to any new open positions when that should occur. I still plan on calling her by the end of the week to see if I can still save my spot.

Any suggestions on how to proceed? Thanks in advance!!!

100JOULES

Forum Probie
Put those AMR uniforms on ebay. Or in a salvation army box.

Steveb

Forum Lieutenant
Let us know what happens...

OP
OP
CDecilio

CDecilio

Forum Ride Along
Yeah, thanks, that's a given - other privates (too old for fire), ERs, etc... But you gotta think that somehow, calling us all back would be far cheaper from an operational standpoint - processing paperwork, paying for the physical, uniforms, etc - than to hire brand new. This is the closest I've gotten to be hired anywhere in the past 2 years and THIS is the job I want! I'd like to know if I can still, somehow, secure a spot. Hopefully, next interview, I can actually make it to my first day.

Zeroo

Forum Crew Member
You know I got hired like 2 or 3 weeks ago. I got my hours scheduled. I am waiting for the cori to go through and then have to do a drug test. 2-3 weeks to start work seems like so long to me. I will be infuriated if I end up in your position. It will most likely be another week before I start working. IF I start working. -.-

OP
OP
CDecilio

CDecilio

Forum Ride Along
Good luck with that Zeroo!

It seems to only be happening to this particular company. The others are still posting open positions. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'd really hate to get back with a full time job in design (even though it'll pay a heck of a lot more), but I'm sick of going from job to job every few years - not to mention clients who don't know what they want and last minute changes ALL THE TIME! I've already worked in an ER for almost 9 years in the 90s and really rather deal with patients. At least with the EMT gig on a private, I'd potentially get sponsored and paid for to get Paramedic training. That'll be ideal!

Bandit55

Forum Ride Along
CDecilio..

Keep at it and don't get discouraged, research the companies regarding pay, benefits, ret prog etc. Trust me, not all privates were created equal.

MedicBrew

Forum Lieutenant
Good luck with that Zeroo!

It seems to only be happening to this particular company. The others are still posting open positions. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'd really hate to get back with a full time job in design (even though it'll pay a heck of a lot more), but I'm sick of going from job to job every few years - not to mention clients who don't know what they want and last minute changes ALL THE TIME! I've already worked in an ER for almost 9 years in the 90s and really rather deal with patients. At least with the EMT gig on a private, I'd potentially get sponsored and paid for to get Paramedic training. That'll be ideal!

CDecilio,

I don’t want to rain on your parade but if that’s how this company handles its induction, I shudder to think how they handle daily operations.

Unless it's some extremely extenuating circumstances, I’d bounce.

The grass isn’t always greener brother, I’d keep my prospects open. Keep looking and find a creditable service that treats its employees well and has an emphasis on quality patient care.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
CDecilio

CDecilio

Forum Ride Along
I know what you guys are saying... It really is a good company though, not one of those small-time local pop-up ones. This is one of the bigger/and-still-growing companies around here, has been around for a very long time and has a lot of clout. I had buddies way back when I was working the ER. My wife, who also works in an ER, has buddies with the same company. I'd say their rep is on par with the other privates in the area (take that is it may).

Supposedly this happened unexpectedly and this was the first time a class was canceled. The HR rep initially said that it was temporary and that the class was going to be kept all together - until I got that letter...

I'm not going for greener pasteurs, so to speak (heck, I'd be going back into design which pays about 4x-5x more), but more of a way for me to get the experience and a free (or at least discounted) ticket onto Paramedic training - better with a company such as this (including benefits and all).

What's really going on? Who knows. It is worrisome for this to happen with such a company, but I'd still like to see how it plays out.

MedicBrew

Forum Lieutenant
Put those AMR uniforms on ebay. Or in a salvation army box.

Had to laugh at that:)

I know what you guys are saying... It really is a good company though, not one of those small-time local pop-up ones. This is one of the bigger/and-still-growing companies around here, has been around for a very long time and has a lot of clout. I had buddies way back when I was working the ER. My wife, who also works in an ER, has buddies with the same company. I'd say their rep is on par with the other privates in the area (take that is it may).

Supposedly this happened unexpectedly and this was the first time a class was canceled. The HR rep initially said that it was temporary and that the class was going to be kept all together - until I got that letter...

I'm not going for greener pasteurs, so to speak (heck, I'd be going back into design which pays about 4x-5x more), but more of a way for me to get the experience and a free (or at least discounted) ticket onto Paramedic training - better with a company such as this (including benefits and all).

What's really going on? Who knows. It is worrisome for this to happen with such a company, but I'd still like to see how it plays out.

If you heart is set, I wish you all the luck in the world, truly.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Either return the uniforms or hang on to them. They may be impressed you returned them and did not act bitter. Or if you keep them if they call to ask you to report with them you will be ready.

OP
OP
CDecilio

CDecilio

Forum Ride Along
I'll be calling them within the next day or so. We'll see what happens from there. I'm not planning on getting rid of them just yet... And if it is a no go, I'll return them. Takes way more energy acting bitter than to accept it. I've been there plenty of times before. No use burning any potential future opps. After all there are only so many places to apply.

Thanks everyone for the input!!! I'll let you know what happens...

OP
OP
CDecilio

CDecilio

Forum Ride Along
So... I went ahead and called back yesterday. I got the "I'm sorry she doesn't seem to be available, would you like her voicemail?" reply. I know this technique. I've done this in my previous jobs where someone is asking for my boss and they don't want to talk... If I don't get a call back come Monday or so, I'll know where I stand.

Just as well. Got another interview Monday in an ER for an ECT position, anyway. My wife's coworker is a manager at this hospital so we'll see how it goes. It's kinda far but beggers can't be choosers, right?! In another week, I have another old friend who works at the old ER I used to work at. I know the ER Director there too, as well as some other old timers. I just need to pay them a visit and see what's up. I'm bringing the baby as my secret weapon ;-)

OP
OP
CDecilio

CDecilio

Forum Ride Along
I did... Only so much out there you start applying twice, even three times over the course of a few months. A good number medics that proctored in my EMT class had other jobs simply because there were only a few and their other jobs (not in healthcare) paid more - at least they got accepted into the departments.

But as with any business these days, you really need to know someone on the inside to get your foot in the door.

My wife used her connections and got me an interview where her friend is the nursing manager. She heard what happened and offered to help - even if she knew the job was kinda far. Oh well, I can't be picky...

I had the interview yesterday. The nursing director, who interviewed me, said it was pretty much a slam dunk so we'll see. The position is for an ECT. Actually, they'd like all their ECTs to be EMT certified rather than CNA or other cert. But that's not the catcher... Because they are going through big changes at this very small, privately-owned hospital, they'd like to use my background in graphic design to help out with their marketing. They also liked the fact that I had previous ER experience, even though it was as being a unit clerk. Well, it fits.

I'll know more by the end of the week...

Cindigo

Forum Crew Member
Sorry man. But, it sounds like you have a really good attitude and aren't lazy ....that's 90% of the battle. Keep us posted, I'll be sending good thoughts your way.

OP
OP
CDecilio

CDecilio

Forum Ride Along
Thanks, man!

After being in the design business for 12 years, you get used to the on and offs and the constant applying. I'm just lucky that my family and I have some history working in various hospitals and ERs already to be able to establish some sort of in. Like I mentioned before, I should have continued working in healthcare rather than pursuing my "dream," hahaha! Yup! Shoulda listened to my dad!!! Mom and wife are happy I went back into healthcare though ;-)