Glass ampule

adwilcox28

Forum Probie
What are some common medications supplied in glass ampules?

Bosco836

Forum Lieutenant
At our service, our Epi 1:1000, Dimenhydronate, Diphenhydramine all come in glass ampules.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Some antibiotics as well, especially powders for reconstitution.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Metoprolol, Narcan, Epi 1:1k... I think that's all our service carries in amps. Most others are in vials or carpojects.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
At one point or another, I would guess I have seen about 80% of EMS medications in an ampule in one setting or another. Why do you ask?

reaper

Working Bum
Now I wonder if everyone is on the same page. Only med I carry in a glass ampule is epi 1:1000. Most others are in glass vials!

An ampule is the one you break the top off of. Now I know other meds come in them. But most companies sell most meds in vials. Epi 1:1000 comes in ampules for 1mg dose and vials for larger doses.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Now I wonder if everyone is on the same page. Only med I carry in a glass ampule is epi 1:1000. Most others are in glass vials!

An ampule is the one you break the top off of. Now I know other meds come in them. But most companies sell most meds in vials. Epi 1:1000 comes in ampules for 1mg dose and vials for larger doses.

Nope, I really meant amp for Narcan, Epi, and Metoprolol... and now that I think about it our narc box has Fent and Nubain in amps too

reaper

Working Bum
Ok, my bad. Nubain is in ampule too. Forgot that one.

You guys must buy filter needles by the cases! :eek:

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
All of our drugs come in glass ampoules we have no preloaded syringes

Glucagon, vecuronium and ceftriaxone need reconstituting.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Anybody else remember what a pain in the b@lls Cordarone ampules were?

Currently the only thing we have in ampules is epi 1:1000, and occasionally fentanyl. In the past I've had nalbuphine, promethazine, narcan, metoprolol and amiodarone at various different times in ampules.

It also never fails the promethazine ampules will cut the bejeezus out of you.

Last edited by a moderator:

reaper

Working Bum
Oh come on, you didnt like trying you get that stopper to push in!!!

18G

Paramedic
We have epi 1:1000, narcan, amiodarone, and fentanyl in ampules. I personally do not like ampules.. vials are easier.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
In the WWII medical reenacting group I belong to, most of our "medication" are in ampules (actually it's just distilled water sealed into an ampule for "show"). It's given me a whole new respect for whomever invented the multi-dose vial and prefill. However, I will point out, that it could be much worse: we could still be using "hypodermic tablets".