ghosts??

slb862

Forum Lieutenant
I know there was a question about nightmares/dreams at work or nightmares/dreams about work...

When I started work for the company I work for now:

I stayed at base and there are 2 rooms for sleeping. One a big room and the other smaller. The first time, I was sleeping in the larger of the rooms and had a "dream", I think, of something or someone in the room with me. I blew it off. The second time, I was in the same room, I had the same "dream". Okay made me nervous, a little. The third time, same room, same "dream" but this time a few more "beings" were present. Needless to say, I now sleep on the couch. And have never been bothered by this "dream" again. This "being" I witnessed looked like the Grim Reaper. YIKES!!!

I am not the only one that has had this "feeling" of something or someone in the room with them. It is always in this large room. I know some of you will think I am a little goofy (right you are) but, this has happened to more than one of us.
Anyone else had anything strange happen to them whether at work or not?:ph34r:

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
When i did my first ride out for my fire station i had the crew tell me that our station is haunted but a volunteer firefighter that got killed on a MVC. i didnt believe it at first. but that night i was sleeping and a whole bunch of weird stuff started to happen. it freaked me out. little did i know that one of the firefighters was a huge jokester and rigged a whole bunch of electronic items with wireless remotes. i got a good laugh out of it. sounds like you might need to call the Ghost Busters or Mystery Inc.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
The funny thing about doing this job is...

...you do the work and the work involves the territory between life and death. Since you're actually experiencing this as a human being -- it is becoming part of your life's experience -- you are essentially LIVING on the edge of life and death.

All I have to say is that exposes you to weird stuff that's real whether you like it or not, whether you even believe it or not.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
It wasn't a ghost. There's no such thing. :)

Try sleeping in the room again. If it makes you feel better, make your partner sleep in there too.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I don't let my kids fear things that aren't real. Ghosts and nightmares fall into that category.

lampnyter

Forum Captain
Where i am EMT's are VERY superstitious. You talk about having a slow day and they will flip a :censored::censored::censored::censored: on you. They think one of our stations is haunted too.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Do some research on sleep paralysis or Old Hag syndrome.

One of the causes of it is a screwed up circadian rythm. It's happened to me quite a few times since I started working in EMS. Maybe this is what's happening to you. It's terrifying until you educate yourself on what's happening

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Hell, I know my station is haunted...

every time I walk in the Chief looks at me and says, "GET OUT!"

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
I've never felt it myself, but I'm pretty tolerant of those who do. I just don't see why it matters, so I'm not going to argue about it.

One of my old stations was really weird, with all sorts of random drafts, noises that sounded suspiciously like footsteps when nobody was there, and so on. I'm pretty sure it was just an old and cranky heating system.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
My partner swears up and down we have a station ghost. We have a lock box that a spare key for the station is kept in attatched to the wall outside the station. The front of the building is all glass and metal, thus someone clicking the buttons on the lock box makes a very distinct sound. We've both heard that sound at night, gone to check and there's been no-one outside.

He swears it's a ghost, but we have a fairly large transient population near our station, I'm convinced it's some hobo trying to get in.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
My partner swears up and down we have a station ghost. We have a lock box that a spare key for the station is kept in attatched to the wall outside the station.

That "lock box" would be the Narcotics box, and the sound you are hearing is a junky trying to break into it.

OP
OP
slb862

slb862

Forum Lieutenant
Do some research on sleep paralysis or Old Hag syndrome.

I had never heard of either of these, ( I almost took offense to the latter of the two! LOL)

Thought to myself... wouldn't hurt to look them up, so I did.

Interesting read. Thank You.

SeeNoMore

Old and Crappy
"That "lock box" would be the Narcotics box, and the sound you are hearing is a junky trying to break into it. "

I think the politicallty correct term is narcotic impaired individuals. They just need the high, it's not their fault they crashed their car into yours or stole your stuff:ph34r:

Seriously though, I don't know about Ghosts but I had the most vivid nightmare I have ever had the other night where a DOA pt suspected of a Heroin OD sat up, screamed, and grabbed my arm. It was so lifelike in the dream, and it's made me a little twitchy around dead folks lately.

PotashRLS

Forum Crew Member
That "lock box" would be the Narcotics box, and the sound you are hearing is a junky trying to break into it.

Likely it is a Knox Box where mutual aid departments can gain access to the station in times of shuffling back-up crews/apparatus around communities.

I personally have never seen a ghost, but my wife's grandparents have one that lives in their house with them. Various family members have seen it. :wacko:

DCAP-BLS-TIC

Forum Ride Along
I've seen the ghosts ever since I lost her. Young girl, asthmatic. I kept getting the ET tube in the esophagus and by the time my partner had taken over and got it in properly it was too late.

Pittma

Forum Crew Member
I've seen the ghosts ever since I lost her. Young girl, asthmatic. I kept getting the ET tube in the esophagus and by the time my partner had taken over and got it in properly it was too late.

I've had this too. Ever talk to someone about it? Not to be "that" guy, but it may help you at least get you to sleep better. :p

enjoynz

Lady Enjoynz
Both my husband and I worked a the same Station (at different shifts, taking turns at looking after our children).
He senses ghosts all the time, even has caught a couple on film, were as, I don't.
Well as least I did not until I worked at that Station.
Having worked with the elderly in my younger days, you get to know that old person's smell they seem to have.

One afternoon I was sitting in the lounge chair at the station, watching the box (T.V),
when my right arm grew cold and I could feel the hairs on my arm stand up...I then could smell that old person's smell quite strongly.

When I told my husband about it, he told me he had sensed the ghost a long time before, but did not want to tell me,
because he knew that sort of thing scared me and we use to have to spend nights at the station on our own as well.

We came to the thought that the ghost meant know harm and was probably an old ambo, coming to check someone was on duty. lol.

Enjoynz