Getting ready to advance

TgerFoxMark

Forum Lieutenant
I have a couple questions here. (things in my life are forcing me to move on some)
1/ I need to find a good place in Indianapolis to get trained to either an I or Paramedic, But IUPUI is out of the question due to things that happened when i was a computer science student.
2/ Wondering If it would be in my best interests to get a tactical cert or fire Training

Any help will be appriciated. flames will be laughed at.

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
can't go wrong being a fire-medic, can get a job just about anywhere i hear, as far as places to get trainning... i dont really know about indianapolis so can't help ya there

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
It all depends upon on what you want to do and what your goals are. Want to deliver patient care or dabble in it?

If you truly want a job then go to an accredited Paramedic program. Your options of employment are definitely there.

You will receive options of Fire Departments seeking Paramedics. As well, most FD's have their own academy and really does not matter if you have your Fire Cert or not. They will mandate you to go through their own. Many departments are seeking Paramedics much more than just having the EMT/I rating and having a Fire Cert already.

In my opinion tactical medic is waste of money unless you are already associated with a law enforcement agency. Again, they usually promote within and will send or provide you to their own specific training area. There is very departments that allow non-associated tactical medics on their teams. As well, the liability is enormous for such an event and I would never work as one without being able to carry a weapon. Again a liability issue.

Save your money on Paramedic school, if you are really interested in patient care. Why go through Intermediate or half way? Your chances of getting hired are then less than half.

Clarian Health Partners appears to be nationally accredited.

R/r 911

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
TgerFoxMark

TgerFoxMark

Forum Lieutenant
however, Clarian is IU, Methodist, Riley... and i am kinda SOL with IU.

katgrl2003

Forum Asst. Chief
Clarian is different from IUPUI. Clarian does clinicals with Warren and Lawrence (I think) and IUPUI does clinicals with Wishard. You might want to look at St. Vincent - that's the program I'm looking at now. They do ride time with Kokomo, Carmel and Pike. St Francis and Hendricks also have paramedic programs.

-Kat