General Biology, or Fundamentals of Microbiology?

JPINFV

Gadfly
Gen Bio. It's a pre-req for micro.

...but at my undergrad, microbiology was an upper division course with lab, and thus the pre-reqs included general chem, organic chem, biochemistry, genetics, molecular bio, and intro bio lab in addition to the 2 general bio courses. So the prereqs are going to vary depending on the institution the the purpose of the lab.

aewin90

Forum Crew Member
Paramedics may not have the formal diagnosis to work with, but the understanding of infectious diseases that comes with microbiology can help anyone.

*snip*

Understanding how the size of microbes affects the PPE you use, which cleaners will kill the microbes in question, and how drug-resistant microbes affect your practice are useful to and healthcare provider.
I definitely see what you are saying here. But, is it worth an entire semester of Microbiology, especially when faced with an alternative such as General Biology?

As a CNA I occasionally found myself walking into Negative Pressure rooms with more gear than someone about to perform an EVA from the Space Shuttle, yet I never received more than a basic crash course in pathogens, portals of entry/exit, types of precautions, and various pieces of PPE. It was adequate considering we mostly followed the signs on the door and prayed the Rosary before entering a C-Diff room.

A similar "crash course" would be, I would think, sufficient in a field where patient contact is generally minimal in terms of time.

I'm going to disagree and say that out of the PPE/intervention options, the only thing that can't occur (and I know it isn't all inclusive) is negative pressure.
You're ambulances aren't fancy enough. ;)

However ambulances routinely transport patients with diagnoses (not all calls are coming from non-health care facilities), and even still the ability to identify sick patients and take precautions is important, even if it's more of an all/nothing than location specific (i.e. gloves/gown/maks instead of picking and choosing).
Oops, didn't even consider the IFT side of EMS. You have quite a point there. :blush:

If the only important thing is infection control, then I could argue that the only people who need microbiology are those diagnosis and prescribing antibiotics. You don't need a background in micro if all you are doing is following what the sign on the door says to do.
You have a point there as well. The question is, within the context of pursuing a career in prehospital emergency care, would General Bio or Microbiology be preferable? I believe a case can be made for General Bio, at least until EMS matures beyond the Technician era.

Of course I have little formal experience in EMS, so feel free to take what I say with a grain of salt. Or a gallon.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I will agree (I haven't stated this yet) that general bio is better as a first course since it should cover the basics of several different fields whereas microbiology only covers specifics of micro, much of which isn't immediately applicable to EMS. However, I do feel the need to counter false arguments, even if I agree with the overall premise.

OP
OP
JJR512

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
Well, I've come across some new information that may change what I decide to take.

In the last few days, I've learned two things. The first is that there is a paramedic course taught at the county fire dept. training academy. This course essentially duplicates the one offered at the county community college; in fact, it is taught on the same dates and times. However, this course does not have any prerequisites at all (other than EMT-B). No A&P I & II, no General Biology or Fundamentals of Microbiology. According to my EMT instructor, the prerequisites are not necessary because the relevant knowledge from those classes is actually included in the paramedic core classes at the appropriate times. The community college—again, remember that it's the same set of core paramedic classes—has the prerequisites because apparently it transfers better that way. And that's the disadvantage of the training center's program: no college credits for taking it.

On the other hand, I've also been looking at the nursing program at the community college. (My goal is paramedic first, maybe nursing after.) The nursing program has the Fundamentals of Microbiology as a mandatory class as part of the nursing program, in addition, of course, to the A&P I & II. So although A&P I still has the option between that and General Biology, the fact that Fundamentals of Microbiology is part of the nursing program effectively removes that choice for the nursing student.

If I decide to do the program at the community college, I now think I'll take Fundamentals of Microbiology. Given the fact that the paramedic core courses are going to cover the relevant biology topics in those courses directly, it seems safe to pick it over General Biology. This way, if I decide to do nursing later, I'll already have Fundamentals of Microbiology done with.

Last edited by a moderator:

RunnerD1987

Forum Crew Member
This thread is in relation to a topic was going to post and did not want to clutter. I do not mean to jump on this thread, but in regards to classes and training for paramedic. I am looking to take a bridge EMT-B course this spring hopefully and wanted to take a paramedic class in the winter next year, but may hold off to the following fall. I already have a degree though unsure what to do with and that is why I started becoming involved with EMS. Long story short looking to take a few college courses in science and math. I already have bio under my belt. With the EMT B course being taken in the spring after getting my feet wet was thinking of going forth with an AEMT program. That would only allow me to take three courses at the local community college. Was thinking of taking a math class just to keep practice on that area. Leaving only two classes left with a lot of choices, which are Microbiology, A&P I, A&P II, A&P for EMS, General Chemistry I and II.

Any tips on what classes to check out? Appreciate the response.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Do College Algebra and A&P. Being able to add and knowing how the body works will help you a lot in AEMT and medic school.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
This thread is in relation to a topic was going to post and did not want to clutter. I do not mean to jump on this thread, but in regards to classes and training for paramedic. I am looking to take a bridge EMT-B course this spring hopefully and wanted to take a paramedic class in the winter next year, but may hold off to the following fall. I already have a degree though unsure what to do with and that is why I started becoming involved with EMS. Long story short looking to take a few college courses in science and math. I already have bio under my belt. With the EMT B course being taken in the spring after getting my feet wet was thinking of going forth with an AEMT program. That would only allow me to take three courses at the local community college. Was thinking of taking a math class just to keep practice on that area. Leaving only two classes left with a lot of choices, which are Microbiology, A&P I, A&P II, A&P for EMS, General Chemistry I and II.

Any tips on what classes to check out? Appreciate the response.

Skip A&P for EMS and take the real A&P courses w/ labs