Future Paramedic here

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
You have stumbled into a pseudo career, paramedic is not a complete career in itself, and every year I see that it's taking a turn to the worst. Every year I see younger paramedics, some with no work experience fresh out of highschool, not taking the job seriously since they are trying to get into fire, and as the numbers grows there is less positions available. Every year I see that new medics are getting payed less. In Cali. there is no job security as a paramedic, I've worked in companies that layed off 9 paramedics from one day to another without giving us any notice. Can paramedic be declared as a real career when I know many of them have other jobs, or receive welfare to survive? Sadly the only way to make this a career is if you get into fire fighting, work in cruise ship, oil station in the ocean, or flight paramedic. Other than that, it is known as another "stepping stone." Don't take me wrong, I like what I do, I've worked in almost every field out there and I find my job interesting and rewarding. However, I can't help to think of it as "community service." It's good experience if you plan to continue your career in the medical field. This is why most medics (Non FF) are going into RT, RN, PA, or MD.

This is all completely situation and location dependent. Believe me, I know there are many places like what you describe here, but it's not one size fits all. I know I sometimes sound like a broken record, but there are career oriented single role EMS services out there! My service (and both others in the state) have single role career paramedics with fair wages, manageable call volume, quality equipment, and reasonable management. There are opportunities for advancement, and continuing education is emphasized. Many of my co-workers have worked here for close to 20 years without having another job. Most don't aspire to work as a firefighter since fire is all volunteer in the state. Don't get me wrong. We certainly have medics leave to work as RNs, PAs, or go into education. The difference in my mind is that you certainly do have the option to make paramedicine a true career in this system. I know not all places are like this, but don't make the opposite mistake from me and assume all EMS services are temp jobs either.

Asclepius911

Forum Lieutenant
It would be great if it were like that everywhere, but paramedics is still in an evolving stage in which it's striving to become a career. They recently began an AS and bachelors in paramedics. This might be signs that paramedics possibly may be changing in the far future, currently it makes no sense since to become a paramedic all you need is a P card. I know others that only have an (with no college) HS/GED, and others that have bachelors that are medics and we all get payed the same.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I don't understand why you're going on and on about this. It was very clearly explained that it is NOT the same in every state. And yes, paramedicine is a young profession, but it's continuing to evolve. As Chaz mentioned, Delaware paramedics are all county employees, there are no bottom feeder private paramedic services here. In my county, education is a huge priority. Degreed paramedics are compensated with a salary increase, there is a excellent tuition reimbursement/assistance program and non degreed medics are encouraged to pursue a degree as education is one of the requirements for merit increases.

If you search, you'll find excellent paramedic systems that pay well, encourage education and expect the medics to be more than just meat in the seat with a P card. You may just have to move to work for one of them.

Or, stay where you are and settle for low wages and system status management.

We all know that California is a wasteland for most medics unless you land that coveted fire job, but it's not that way everywhere. Research is your friend.

Last edited by a moderator:

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
"A wasteland"

Lol. Jeeze.

What an adjective.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I don't understand why you're going on and on about this. It was very clearly explained that it is NOT the same in every state. And yes, paramedicine is a young profession, but it's continuing to evolve. As Chaz mentioned, Delaware paramedics are all county employees, there are no bottom feeder private paramedic services here. In my county, education is a huge priority. Degreed paramedics are compensated with a salary increase, there is a excellent tuition reimbursement/assistance program and non degreed medics are encouraged to pursue a degree as education is one of the requirements for merit increases.

If you search, you'll find excellent paramedic systems that pay well, encourage education and expect the medics to be more than just meat in the seat with a P card. You may just have to move to work for one of them.

Or, stay where you are and settle for low wages and system status management.

We all know that California is a wasteland for most medics unless you land that coveted fire job, but it's not that way everywhere. Research is your friend.
+1 to pretty much everything you said. Its certainly not the majority, but if you go the extra mile its out there.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
It is incredibly hard to find, especially with a private. It's just hard to find, like a private ambulance with a PA microphone that hasn't been cut off. Too many clowns in this "profession."

I'm not taking either side on the matter though.

I'm simply stating that you have to really want to find that "career" medic role and you have to be extremely flexible in most cases. There are those fortunate enough to live in areas without privates and without over saturation, but the days of having your P card and being the goose that lays the golden eggs are long over.

I've usually thought of it as just a skill set, and less of a life long career on its own. Obviously, this is my opinion only. In communion with other skill sets such as flight, firefighting, tacticool training, maritime ops, etc. it can make a great deal of difference in acquiring said careers.

Just in general, sitting in a truck, getting constantly beat up, eating the typical garbage, having interrupted sleep schedules, lifting and over working your tired body, and working 60+ hours per week for minimal wages is not what I would call a career gig. It is taxing on the body, and the mind, but for little to gain in your personal life. You can't debate the "calling" some feel for this work. You can't adequately explain how rewarding it feels to get that true save. In the larger picture though, I agree, this "career" is still in its toddler years. It can barely walk and talk while mommy and daddy do everything for it. That would be the private companies and govt types who outsource to those private companies. So long as it remains primarily a private industry, as opposed to almost every other emergency service- we will be second rate.

It is evidenced by the wages. I make a decent living, but I certainly couldn't support a family and own a home and a jet ski and a this and a that. We still aren't yet held to the same esteem as our counter parts in the FDs and PDs... Why do those guys get local discounts but I don't in my ambulance? "Sorry, only firemen get half off"...
Don't mistake me for someone who does this for perks, but c'mon- perks are nice. But it is just another among a host of exhibits of how private EMS is viewed as a majority.

I digress. It is a great, cool, rewarding job. But there has to be an endgame to your plan if you want to be a paramedic. Either relocate to a system with single role medics who are govt employees or treated equally, or use your P card in combo with another career.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Oh, and stay in school.

Asclepius911

Forum Lieutenant
And to you sir I tip my hat, last I saw a PA, an EMT thought it would be funny to say "*****hhhhh" to one of his friend that was coming in to station for EOS. Next week all Mic. for PAs were cut off.