Fundraising ideas

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
Does anyone have any experience with fundraisers?

I have been tasked with forming a new student organization at my uni, and I was hoping some of the members here may have some good ideas as to different/unique successful fundraising ideas.

Do any of you guys on vollie squads have to do fundraisers

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
My vollie service does not fund raise. All of our operating costs and honoraria are covered by municipal taxes.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Our local animal shelter and CERT are going with fundraisers

First, get a darn good location and lots of publicity; start early.
Next, we did a combination bake sale and second hand sale (flea market). For a flea market you need a big place to organize it all and store it beforehand and plenty of help, especially to take it all down. Don't save any for "the next sale", if it doesn';t move, sell it super cheap at the end, and donate the rest away (have the charity already lined up, pick one that will pick up). Also, most communities of any size have a for-profit second hand store chain who will look your stuff over once it is organized but before the sale starts, offering you a cash amount for a bunch of your best; consider it.
The first big 2 day sale last year netted $20,000. Ths year's one-day sale netted $19,000. Both times, in-kind or matching donations were solicited if we broke certain amount-thresholds.

Why not a continuing little bake sale, and use it to advertise something bigger like a flea market or spaghetti feed?

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I have always been a fan of the topless car wash.

The cars are washed on side of the building or even under a large tent in a parking lot where not everyone can see what is going on. Put your eye catching beauties on the street holding the signs.

When the customer comes in, everything is washed except the top...

Top Less car wash. :)

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I'll IM you so as not to clog the post.

repeat them as you will...^_^