Full Arrest

OP
OP
E

emtwacker710

Forum Captain
yea our dispatchers call it out as a full arrest, so that is what I have gotten into the habit of saying. I suppose they do it because you can have a respitory arrest but the heart still beating for a bit then it will eventually stop equaling a full arrest...idk it just seems to go with our dispatch system..

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
regardless of how often it is used, or by whom, each time it is equally ridiculous

firecoins

IFT Puppet

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief

mikie

Forum Lurker
Code Blue here.......

Where did that come from? I know it's used in the hospital setting, did it make its way to EMS? Would you yell Code Red if there was a fire in the back of the ambulance? Do you use any other 'code' terms?

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Terms for cardiac arrest

Here in Santa Barbara Co, our dispatch uses the term Code Blue, now as far as a fire on the ambulance, I'm sure the crew would stop the rig and use the fire extinguisher, and call dispatch to let them know their rig was on fire...... :p

Katie

Forum Lieutenant
we call it cardiac arrest here as well

firecoins

IFT Puppet

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
the technical term ... cardiac arrest.

R/r 91
Yep. The CAD typecode is AARREST (for ALS Arrest... no, there is no BLS Arrest). The typecode is for both Cardiac Arrests and Respiratory Arrests.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Are you the miracle worker for King Pumpernick?

That was King Humperdink!
billy_crystal13.jpg

I'm the one on the left!

DBieniek

Forum Crew Member
Sorry, but the two "firefighters" with no medical training have no business responding to a MEDICAL call.

rescuepoppy

Forum Lieutenant
Where did that come from? I know it's used in the hospital setting, did it make its way to EMS? Would you yell Code Red if there was a fire in the back of the ambulance? Do you use any other 'code' terms?

If there is a fire in the back of the ambulance I am probably going to yell, but it most likely wont sound anything like code red.

LE-EMT

Forum Lieutenant
amen if there is a fire in the back of my ambo Code red is the last thing you will here me say anything prior to that would get me banned from this forum and probably a hefty FCC fine as well..........

wolfwyndd

Forum Captain
Sorry, but the two "firefighters" with no medical training have no business responding to a MEDICAL call.
Not sure I agree with that. Maybe not where YOU live, but here, we routinely call the FD for 'lift assist' and if we are working a cardiac arrest we use them as lift assist and 'step and fetch' for things until we actually leave the scene with the patient in the back.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief

its funny that you phrase it that way because in more and more depts every day, that's exactly what it boils down to. business. advancements in building materials and techniques, materials used in furniture, fire safe cigarettes, smoke detectors and awareness; all these things have caused a significant decrease in the amount of structure fires. so what are all the hose draggers supposed to do when there's no fire to put out? simple, they send an engine on every medical call thereby increasing their total runs for the year and justifying the budget for next year.

VentMedic

Forum Chief

They can perform a few useful tasks like the lifting, carrying, eye candy for the residents at the nursing home and if they have a CPR card, I don't mind them getting hot and sweaty.

firecoins

IFT Puppet

I responded to a fire call and used nitro paste to help put the fire out. It didn't work.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
They can perform a few useful tasks like the lifting, carrying, eye candy for the residents at the nursing home and if they have a CPR card, I don't mind them getting hot and sweaty.

during a code, are you going to card them? I am sure you can teach compression to any well intended indivdual IF you needed the extra hands badly enough.

DBieniek

Forum Crew Member
Vent, I may have read it wrong but their post gave me the impression that they had absolutely no medical training (no cpr/first aid, etc). I'm talking about the people who would stare at you if you asked them to grab the BVM.

Kev, that holds very true around here. Everyone seems far more concerned with numbers than actual patient care.

Wolf, if they have no medical training they may not understand what exactly you are asking for. Besides, typically you should have what you need BEFORE entering the scene.

Firefighters have their place in emergency services, without a doubt. However, unless they are certified MFR's I do not feel they belong on an ambulance - just as I, acting in the capacity of an EMT-B, do not belong inside of a fire. My point being that if I need help lifting a patient I will call another ambulance staffed with emergency medical personnel who are trained on the proper techniques of moving patients.

Please note that this does not cover those fireman who do have medical training. This is mainly directed towards your second-day volly with absolutely no experience who decides to jump on the ambulance to feel like they are part of the call. In reality, these people clutter up scenes and get in the way of emergency personnel.