Frontline Medicine

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I worked in trauma critical care in 1998-2000, and I remember several patients who would have survived their injuries if they'd recieved treatment like this.

I am so impressed by the facility, people, and the care they give. That was worth the time to watch.

I enjoyed learning about the prosthetics and recovery in Episode 2.

OP
OP
D

DPM

Forum Captain
I worked in trauma critical care in 1998-2000, and I remember several patients who would have survived their injuries if they'd recieved treatment like this.

I am so impressed by the facility, people, and the care they give. That was worth the time to watch.

I enjoyed learning about the prosthetics and recovery in Episode 2.

I was blown away by that mechanical hand. Truly awesome stuff.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Moving care to the patient on the line.

http://www.amazon.com/On-Call-In-Hell-Doctors/dp/0451220536

The author talks about his service with the US Marines including the battle for Fallujah, and moving the highest level of care (sport of a super aid station but with a surgeon and some higher capabilities) into the battle area.

Combined, Afghanistan and Iraq have been going on for longer than the full-gear Vietnam involvement (1964-1975). Feedback and response from the battle area have been much greater this time, I think.

OP
OP
D

DPM

Forum Captain
Another interesting read, if you can find it, is "The Red and Green Life Machine" . The Author was Officer Commanding Medical Squadron of the Commando Logistic Regiment and commanded the field hospital at Ajax Bay during the Falklands conflict. I received the book as a birthday present as a younger man and I read it cover to cover in one go.

I have found that not a lot is known about the Falklands Conflict outside of British Military circles, and unfortunately some hard lessons learned there were forgotten shortly after.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
My one complaint with armor (aside from the weight of the IBA and IOTV the US Army fields) is not as much with the armor as with the training our first-aiders and medics receive. Many of them are taught by rote and assume that the armor is impenetrable. I've rarely seen a new medic (and still catch some of the NCOs) that doesn't hesitate to consider a plate or armor penetration, as opposed to a miss.

Armor is valuable, but in all too many soldiers, it's a confidence booster to justify unsound choices.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Falklands...check. Not much publicized in the US. I remember it mostly as the Vulcan bomber's last hurrah. And the first time modern antiship missiles were effectively used in a real conflict.