From IFT To 911

bryanpearl

Forum Crew Member
So... I have had my EMT now for 6 months, and I have been working for a private for almost 1 year now (I started off as a driver, yes I was literally an ambulance driver...). My question basically is how easy/difficult is it to go from IFT to 911? My ultimate goal is to get my paramedic and go fire, so I need to go 911, but I'm anxious.

Thanks everyone.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
So... I have had my EMT now for 6 months, and I have been working for a private for almost 1 year now (I started off as a driver, yes I was literally an ambulance driver...). My question basically is how easy/difficult is it to go from IFT to 911? My ultimate goal is to get my paramedic and go fire, so I need to go 911, but I'm anxious.

Thanks everyone.

Depends where you are. In NM it's just a matter of applying for a 911 service. Or applying for a service that does both

OP
OP
B

bryanpearl

Forum Crew Member
I gotcha. I mean kind of more in aspect of the work / workload / hours etc. I know a lot of departments are 24/48. I just want to be as prepared as I am able to before I start applying for positions.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
That's going to depend heavily on where you are could be 24/48, 48/96, 4x12s, 3x16s, 4x10s, 5x8s.

Workload is the same as far as varying. We generally run 8+ calls in a 12, I worked 16s before I got hurt and 10-12 was the magic number. I've had days where I didn't run a single call too.

911 is basically the same thing as IFT except you pick them up at their house or other non-medical facility. Sometimes they are at a medical facility who's calling 911 for them. Introduce yourself, find out what their complaint is, do an assessment, treat per protocol and transport to the preferred destination. My IFT assessments aren't as verbal because I can learn a lot by reading the chart but you can't not assess them. I've had plenty of IFTs end up wayyyyy sicker than the original provider thought. Also had them say they're really sick and not be sick at all.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Depending on the area, the difference between 911 and IFT is.........Zilch. Zero. Nada. Bupkis

For some reason people like to make a huge deal over this. There's very, very sick patients in both places if you bother to look.

ZombieEMT

Chief Medical Zombie
Premium Member
It is not much different if you were performing as an EMT should. I see many EMTs in my area, that basically just pick up a patient and drop them off. Many lie about vitals or just document that a patient refused vitals. The treat it as a taxi ride. If you are actually assessing your patients, obtaining histories, talking about medical conditions, then it is easier.

I work both IFT and 911. I can tell you that many times in an 911 setting, you do not know what is really causing the issue and sometimes requires more critical thinking. In IFT, the patient typically already has a diagnosis. You also have to think about extrication of patient's from certain residences/facilities. Most IFT comes from a hospital bed to hospital bed. Please do not mistake anything that I said. Sometimes there are critical situations and awkward extrications in IFT.

I personally started in a 911 settinging, volunteering. I did not get into IFT until about 2 years in. It was a change and there were things that with IFT are very different. For example, you are not usually taking patients into residences in 911, sometimes the reverse is different. You also may deal with nursing facilities and hospitals more often, if you do not have many in your local area. Its a new world at times.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
It's kinda nice where I work we get the best of both worlds. We're the only ambulance provider in the county so we do 911 and IFT. Every unit gets rotated through a transfer then once everyone has one they jump back to the top of the list.

I think it's almost more difficult to get people back into their home than out of it a lot of the time.

OP
OP
B

bryanpearl

Forum Crew Member
I think it's almost more difficult to get people back into their home than out of it a lot of the time.

I agree 100 percent. Especially where I am we go into some VERY rural areas and take patients back to some pretty dilapidated homes. When you can literally feel the floor flexing beneath you with your partner, your stretcher with PT loaded, and yourself it's rather unsettling.

I love the company I work for I just want to jump into 911 because my ultimate goal is to get my medic and go fire so I'd like to get used to the setting. Although I will say my experience so far has been extremely valuable, I've learned so much.

AceBlueChip

Forum Ride Along
I agree 100 percent. Especially where I am we go into some VERY rural areas and take patients back to some pretty dilapidated homes. When you can literally feel the floor flexing beneath you with your partner, your stretcher with PT loaded, and yourself it's rather unsettling.

I love the company I work for I just want to jump into 911 because my ultimate goal is to get my medic and go fire so I'd like to get used to the setting. Although I will say my experience so far has been extremely valuable, I've learned so much.
I don't believe you mentioned it anywhere in the text, but do you mind if I ask what private company you work for in SC?