Frisbee NH EMS

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Is anyone here familiar with Frisbee Hospital EMS? I've heard good things... but don't know anyone there.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
When I deployed to New Hampshire I heard good things and talked a little to one if their medics. He seemed really happy with them... but that is all I have for ya

OP
OP
NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic

That's what I hear too.

KellyBracket

Forum Captain
Frisbee I know nothing about.

FrisBIE, on the other hand, I know well. Progressive EMS, very close contact with medical control, and a good mix of 911 and in-hospital work. Awesome place for a certain kind of medic.

amanda30

Forum Ride Along
Hey Kellybracket I was confused with the spelling as well the New Hampshire's Frisbie Memorial Hospital EMS isn't a large service, but it's accomplishing big things.

Somethings I found about them over the web

Frisbie Memorial Hospital EMS/ambulance service was established on April 1, 1980, and was the first hospital-based service in New England. Since then, it has developed into one of the most progressive EMS services in the northeast. Frisbie EMS has been designing and implementing new programs and protocols throughout its history, with some of the most recent being rapid sequence intubation in the field, sepsis alert, STEMI bypass and c-spine rule-out.

KellyBracket

Forum Captain
I actually worked as a medic there for a period. If you have some general questions, I might be able to help answer them. PM or public, either is fine.

takl23

Forum Crew Member
If you have never been to Rochester, NH the town has great access to the mountains and the ocean. Cost of living isn't too high either. Being from NH I don't know if I would want to make my home in Rochester but it's not a terrible place to live.

OP
OP
NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic

Sorry about the superfluous E. I lived on the Seacoast for a while, first in Newmarket, and then later moved to North Conway, so I'm familiar with the area. (For those from there, I worked at WERZ for several years in the early 90s and was on Newmarkets Ambulance Corps for a while)

I'm curious about all of the regular "tell about this place" stuff. Pay, shifts, benefits. Scope and duties in the ED, relationships with local EMS, and any personal pros and cons that you've come across and would be willing to share.

You said it's a good job for a "certain type of medic". What type of medic is that?

Last edited by a moderator:

KellyBracket

Forum Captain
We might have crossed paths at some point - I worked for a private ambulance in Tamworth/Madison, as well as volunteered for Bartlett-Jackson, and spent 2 days working for Tinker!

At least when I worked there, you did your 911 calls, but after those, you worked in the ED. If the trucks didn't roll all day, you still kept working in the ED. So, you have to be a medic who doesn't mind having your "downtime" taken up with patient care stuff. You're wiping buts or giving meds, not checking up on Twitter while posting.

You also need to really be a team player. You are working right along side the nurses, relying on each other, supporting each other. So, if you're a medic who dwells on the "Nurses always be, like,..." kind of petty sparring, you wouldn't like the collaborative approach at the Friz.

You also might feel like you aren't quite as independent as you have been at other jobs. You're working alongside your med control all day long, and both they and the nurses (quite rightly) will be supervising/directing you all day long. (OTOH, the RNs always gave the medics wide latitude in areas in our domain. Code stuff, etc.)

Also, if you were concerned that you weren't super-lifesaver-medic-man before, working in the ED will be a bit of a disappointment. There are plenty of butts to wipe, patients to help to the bathroom, Foley catheters to be placed, sutures to be removed. Your scope is fairly wide (I pushed tPA a few time there), but your daily duties are pretty unremarkable, and don't require a gold patch. SO you have to be cool with that.

Oh, and also, the union guys down the road always made more cash than us. You have to be a medic who thinks the trade-off of less-$$$ vs cooler job is worth it!