Four year degree

Should Paramedic programs be a four year bachelors degree

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
Do you think think that paramedic programs should be 4 year a bachelor degree.

Personally I'm leaning towards that opinion since most RN programs and other health programs are getting to be 4 year degree programs.

OP
OP
fortsmithman

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
I made a boo boo. the second choice should be no. My browser filled in the not issued instead of no. Could a mod or cl fix it please. Or do I have to create a new thread.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I wish my medic class had been tied in with bachelor's. There are so many classes I want to take now.

OP
OP
fortsmithman

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
This is my plan I lan on getting my EMR then EMT either at Portage College or AHASTI then going for my paramedic program at Medicine Hat College which has a four year bachelor's degree. Even though after i do the EMT the other programs in Alberta are 2 yr paramedic programs personally I fell 2 yrs is too short and to have it at 4 yrs.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I think yes. A BS should be the absolute least required for Paramedic. EMT-B should be at least an AAS

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Do you think medic should require a BS as a pre-req, or be a BS program itself?

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Do you think medic should require a BS as a pre-req, or be a BS program itself?

are you saying a Master's level paramedic program? May not be a bad idea.

I support a B.S or B.P.S for paramedic.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
There is already a program that requires a BSc as a pre-req it's called medical school.

Also Advanced Practise Nurses and an ever growing number of PA schools require a Bachelor's as a pre req.

spisco85

Forum Lieutenant
I think it would be a great idea and in turn would not only produce better paramedics but would force EMS to be EMS only and not dual role firefighters. It would also produce a pay raise I'd hope.

OP
OP
fortsmithman

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
I think it would be a great idea and in turn would not only produce better paramedics but would force EMS to be EMS only and not dual role firefighters. It would also produce a pay raise I'd hope.

There is one thing that is true in a majority of jobs not just EMS. The more education you have that is related to your job the more money you will be making.

jochi1543

Forum Captain
Yes...after all, those zero-to-hero programs (EMR---->paramedic) end up taking 3 years, anyway. Why not make it a bit more in-depth and turn it into a 4-year BSc?

OP
OP
fortsmithman

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
The zero to hero program at Medicine Hat College is a 4 yr bachelors program. The degree is a Bachelor of Applied Health Science (Paramedic) .

Last edited by a moderator:

BenKen0bee

Forum Ride Along
There is already a program that requires a BSc as a pre-req it's called medical school.

Negative. Although many applied, one of my friends got in after just two years of university without any kind of degree. One could major in a Native Studies bachelor program and still apply for med school. When it comes down to it, the pre-reqs guidelines for med are just courses that are focused in the BSc stream.

There have been rumors of a Masters program directed at graduated Paramedics and Nurses for Alberta. I believe it's Physician Assistant, meant to supplement the dwindling number of doctors.

jochi1543

Forum Captain
The zero to hero program at Medicine Hat College is a 4 yr bachelors program. The degree is a Bachelor of Applied Health Science (Paramedic) .

??? Got a dude at my job who just finished it and he said it was 3 years.

gicts

Forum Lieutenant
if it did became the national standard, do you believe the pay rate would begin to rise?

gicts

Forum Lieutenant