Followup: The 2 N.C. Medics Lose Credentials

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Two U.S. paramedics lose credentials after wrongly declaring man dead

RALEIGH, North Carolina (AP) - Paramedics who mistakenly declared an accident victim dead have had their credentials suspended after the man began breathing at the morgue.

Paramedics Wade Kearney II and Paul Kilmer were disciplined Monday for rules violations, according to the state Office of Emergency Medical Service. They are among four paramedics who have been suspended with pay.

[...]

Officials have said none of the paramedics attached Green to an electrocardiogram monitor, which gives an electric reading of the heart.

[Read the Full Story!]
[Read an even better article!]

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
I guess that is one of the down sides of this business. You can be the best medic on the planet and make a mistake and your are looked at with microscope. It is a huge cross to bear to do a job where mistakes are not allowed. I wonder how many of the general public realize this... I have said this before and I will say it again, I respect each and every one of you who chose this life changing path!! Chuck on the ole shoulder for each and every one of you!!

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
as was said in another topic - that is the problem with this field. we opearte in BAD conditions, cold, hot, wet, dark, glaring bright, and as soon as a mistake is made, it makes EVERYONE look bad, and everyone monday-morning quaterbacks it to death.

Best we can do is learn from other's mistakes.

Jon

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon@Feb 6 2005, 11:53 AM
as was said in another topic - that is the problem with this field. we opearte in BAD conditions, cold, hot, wet, dark, glaring bright, and as soon as a mistake is made, it makes EVERYONE look bad, and everyone monday-morning quaterbacks it to death.

Best we can do is learn from other's mistakes.

Jon
You are right there, but it is a bit scary working in a society that leaves no room for error. Everything is a law suit these days which puts us all under pressure to be perfect, all the time, under any circumstance.

PArescueEMT

Forum Bartender
you can be the best medic, but have a bad attitude, and if the Pt. Dies, you get sued.

on the other hand...

If you suck as a medic, but are kind to the Patient and family, and the patient dies, there isn't as much of a chance that you are going to get sued.

Best move: Be good at what you do AND be nice to every one. Drop your risks BIG TIME!!!

rescuejew

Forum Lieutenant
I am a medic in Durham, not too far from the Franklin county fiasco...
Whats going around here is that an off-duty Paramedic arrived on scene and pronounced the pt sans equipment. When other EMTs and the ME arrived on scene, one of the females repeatedly told the ME that the "dead" pt was taking spontaneous breaths. The ME chose to ignore her, stating that it was a "synaptic response that routinely happens after death" and off they went to the morgue where we all know he called back later.

I believe in protecting our own, not all of the blame falls on them. The off-duty medic had no expectation to be able to practice as a ALS provider in NC when he is off-duty. The ME ignored a medic TWICE telling him the pt was breathing. I'm not saying they were right to take the word of someone they trusted without confirming asystole, but it couldve happened to any of us.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Very true, rescuejew. I like your screenname. ;)

rescuejew

Forum Lieutenant
thanks CPT, novody ever said I couldnt embrace being a jew and a medic!! :D