Following up with hospitals

intelli78

Forum Probie
So, my belief is that the follow-up is an incredibly important part of the job application process. While there are exceptions, in general it is very important to separate one's application from the hordes.

I have been running into a big problem with this. Namely, while applying for ER tech jobs, I am finding that almost all hospitals' application processes are designed to PREVENT follow-up. It's almost always a "black-box" online system, where you fill out an app, maybe upload a resume and cover letter, and then do nothing/wait. Usually there is no HR phone number posted. Even when there is, they will usually not give you the time of day.

Though I can understand this practice from the hospitals' perspectives, especially if they are swamped with applicants, it is still very frustrating.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get these jobs? I feel like I am throwing applications & time down the drain, because without the follow-up, it is much more difficult to convey important qualities such as professionalism, enthusiasm, etc. All the things that would come across in a phone call, or a face-to-face encounter are shut down.

Moreover, these things are absolutely critical for someone like me, a new EMT grad with a limited resume. I do the best I can to draw on the experience and quals I have, yet it is like spreading too little butter on too much bread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
Most ER managers are very busy and hiring anyone including techs is not thier favorite thing to do. The screening process at most hospitals is set up so that only the most highly qualified applications are seen by the ER manager. Its not uncommon to see one hundred plus applications for tech spots when they open up.

Networking in your local area with other EMS people is probably the first and by far the easiest thing to do. Crews that transport into the ER's usually will know of upcoming openings before they get posted for the general public. Knowing where your at would also help.