FNG... but am I too old?

Badgers

Forum Ride Along
Hey all

Entering into EMT program in Vancouver, WA (once the covid madness subsides) and very much looking forward to it.

My one nagging doubt is ... am I too old to make a career change into EMS? Ill be 39 by the time I am certified.

People only try to talk me out of it based on low pay... which isnt an issue really as Ive never made more than $17/hr in my life and am in a two income household, so raking in $30k a year to start isnt really a deal breaker.

Planning on getting certified and volunteering with a local service while keeping my 'day job' ... if it becomes something that I really do enjoy Ill seek FT employment and probably pursue Paramedic training... which if I do, Ill probably be 41-42 years old upon completion of that program.

Am I nuts?
How are 'new guys' in their 40s generally viewed/accepted?

Thanks!

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
You are not too old. Many threads on this topic...search.

But no...you are NOT too old. Get amongst it.

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
Had a great partner who became an EMT at over 40, then a medic and now is a Sup. His kid is a medic too at that same service.

planetmike

Forum Lieutenant
As long as you don't mind always learning new stuff in this new career, you won't be too old.

I entered EMS at 45. Still enjoying it. Mostly.

Jn1232th

Forum Captain
I’m 25 years old, and in my medic class was pretty much one of the youngest students. One person was in the 50’s-late 50’s! Never to old to do something new.